Need help

Cj_bassinish

Just got a 7 inch slammer and a gancraft 178 I would love some tips on how to fish em I have got skunked both times I fished them I am fishing in ponds with grass on the edges and dirty water if that helps! Thanks 

I also just got a 7" slammer and I've been throwing it on windy cloudy days. I would throw it right along the edge of the grass lines early morning and evening. I've been using a slow wake with some long pauses. I've actually caught a bass every trip so far with it.

You said "both times" throwing a large swimbait (7" is large for regular fisherman), 2 trips is not a lot of fishing time (Assuming you fished a couple hours). It took me months until i caught my latest deps 175 fish, it takes a lot of patience, remembering how you got bit, when you got bit and what worked is all part of the game. It's extremely rewarding to learn the whole process of swimbait fishing and catching a fish knowing you did something right.

15 hours ago, BamaChild said:

Swimbaiting is a patience game. Not trying to scare ya, but it took me 2 months to get my first swimbait fish. Granted that wasn't me being on the true grind, but still. Other than that, I agree with Born 2 Fish

Yeah I know I grinded for a month to get my first one i know that

2 hours ago, Neill Hernandez said:

You said "both times" throwing a large swimbait (7" is large for regular fisherman), 2 trips is not a lot of fishing time (Assuming you fished a couple hours). It took me months until i caught my latest deps 175 fish, it takes a lot of patience, remembering how you got bit, when you got bit and what worked is all part of the game. It's extremely rewarding to learn the whole process of swimbait fishing and catching a fish knowing you did something right.

Yeah i know and I actually fished 12 hours both of those days and I was just asking for some tips.

3 minutes ago, Cj_bassinish said:

Yeah i know and I actually fished 12 hours both of those days and I was just asking for some tips.

Coo Coo, just adding some insight. I've lost many fish on swimbaits this year lol

I do not think it should take a month or two to catch a fish on a swimbait.

Assuming you fished for bass using regular tackle you should know what worked in your waters prior to swimbaiting.

So if worms or jigs worked use a soft bait like hudds or 3:16 RS. If pop Rs worked use a punker or wake bait, if jerkbaits worked use a glide. Work the swimbaits similar to the regular tackle.

Good luck

I agree, esp with the slammer. This is the first big bait (not that i have a lot) that i have fell in love with and see myself owning many. I have not caught anything of size yet, but plenty in the 14 and 15" range. Most of my success has come at night but i have caught them during the day. i have a 9" slammer. I have found that a slow retrieve, just getting it wagging and clacking works best. I have also had great success on windy days of just casting it and letting it sit. The movement these things have with some wave movement is unreal. I have also had luck with a slightly faster crank just below the surface. I guess what im saying is that if there are fish around and you are not spooking them with your presence, you will get bit. 

On 7/30/2018 at 1:19 PM, bassbass said:

I do not think it should take a month or two to catch a fish on a swimbait.

Assuming you fished for bass using regular tackle you should know what worked in your waters prior to swimbaiting.

So if worms or jigs worked use a soft bait like hudds or 3:16 RS. If pop Rs worked use a punker or wake bait, if jerkbaits worked use a glide. Work the swimbaits similar to the regular tackle.

Good luck

Yeah at the very beginning I didn’t really think much I just bought baits that looked cool haha, then after reading working class zeros article (quest for the cure) i sold all my cheaper stuff minus swavers and bought two decent baits (a islide and a hudd) then I started catching fish a lot. So I know what you mean and I wish i started differently! 

Thanks

for the slammer i recommend doing a slow retrieve most of the time. if yours can crank down at all thats good to mix it up against weedlines or logs. really listen for that clanking noise it gives off and shoot for that most of the time. ive never had luck twitching/ walking or stopping in the middle. but others have had good fourtune dong that near strike points, like logs or weedlines again. dont always run just next to a line either. go over it as well. and keep grinding! Goodluck mate

• 2 weeks later...