Glide Bait Problems

BamaChild

Went out today and threw a Megabass ISlide the medium one. Now I had ton of followers and got some to commit. The problem came when the bass would peck the bait between the hooks for a split second then back off. Too fast for me to set the hook into the side of their mouths. I also dealt with bass just rolling on the bait. They would charge the bait then last second almost try and tail slap it is what it looked like from my POV. Im not sure what to do about that. Could the magnetic hook holders have caused me to miss strikes? Another problem is when I fast twitch the bait to really get it going like a jerkbait, the bait rolls over and does a barrel roll. To get the follows I had to work it hard and then the rolls killed the action. Is there anything I can do about that? Thank you!

EDIT: All the followers and the bass who rolled were for sure big enough to engulf the glide bait. I think the roller was pushing 8.

Edited by BamaChild

I've always imagined that freely hanging hooks sweep into a fish's mouth better than ones magnetically attached to the bait, but that could be just me. I too am having a really hard time getting fish to commit to glides. They track a few feet behind the bait or just bump it for good measure. I've been wanting to tie my own feathered hooks to see if it'd make a difference. The only times I've had fish come in REALLY hot were during heavy wind and overcast.

11 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

I've always imagined that freely hanging hooks sweep into a fish's mouth better than ones magnetically attached to the bait, but that could be just me. I too am having a really hard time getting fish to commit to glides. They track a few feet behind the bait or just bump it for good measure. I've been wanting to tie my own feathered hooks to see if it'd make a difference. The only times I've had fish come in REALLY hot were during heavy wind and overcast.

I was in choppy water with 5-7 mph wind

Two tips I have to get the ones that commit to it to get the hook is,

1) Add quads. When the normal hooks on the bait are stuck to the magnet, there's only one point sticking out but with quads you get two points. (Just note that quads are heavy and sometimes they will pull away from the magnet and you will have the hooks swinging. But adding another magnet between the quad and the bait will help)

2) If you add lead tape over the magnets, the hook won't stick to the magnets and they will hang free, so if your on the water and your having one of those days. A free swinging hook will catch the fish better.

I owned a islide 185 and that bait was a nightmare for me. Those magnets are nice when fishing around structure but besides that it actually hurts your fishing so hopefully those tips help you.

I luv the islide too just wish they were true suspenders not slow floaters. Followers are just the name of the game. There is not much you can do about it imo.  I have noticed tho that it is during the long bomb casts when you are likely to get follows.  Guys catch 10lbers on utube all of the time doing that with glifes lol - all complete fluke or lucky catches imo.  Maybe try to make more short structure related casts to give fish a sense they are trapping the bait or that it got spooked near the structure.  Wounded bait doesn't swim in open water but tries to hide.... The magnetic hook holders really don't work that well anyway, and are not an issue imo.  Also, I noticed that a slow reel is all that is needed with bait, but unfortunately it has been marketed for all of the tricks it can do like 360 turns etc.  These tricks involve overworking bait imo....I also usually add scent to my tails.

Edited by bigpoppabass

7 minutes ago, bigpoppabass said:

I luv the islide too just wish they were true suspenders not slow floaters. Followers are just the name of the game. There is not much you can do about it imo.  I have noticed tho that it is during the long bomb casts when you are likely to get follows.  Guys catch 10lbers on utube all of the time doing that with glides lol - all complete fluke or lucky catches imo.  Maybe try to make more short structure related casts to give fish a sense they are trapping the bait or that it got spooked near the structure.  Wounded bait doesn't swim in open water but tries to hide.... The magnetic hook holders really don't work that well anyway, and are not an issue imo.  Also, I noticed that a slow reel is all that is needed with bait, but unfortunately it has been marketed for all of the tricks it can do like 360 turns etc.  These tricks involve overworking bait imo....I also usually add scent to my tails.