8 Trap Method

SU News

12 hours ago, jthod said:

you think that's exciting, you should see a upper 40" musky follow in and follow on the 8.....my heart has never pounded that hard.

Lets hear from some of you muskie guys.  I know you guys practice the figure 8 all the time and I also know you get some really big bass (especially smallies) to follow those muskie baits.  Do you get many bass to commit with the figure 8?

3 hours ago, waynem said:

Lets hear from some of you muskie guys.  I know you guys practice the figure 8 all the time and I also know you get some really big bass (especially smallies) to follow those muskie baits.  Do you get many bass to commit with the figure 8?

I've never had a bass follow in, but I have caught them on musky baits.  A trophy bass in these parts is like 6lbs though, anything over that is a freak.

• 1 month later...

i got a fish this weekend doing it and when i described what i had done i was told it was called the 8 trap method. after googling it i had realized i recently saw clips on instagram featuring these japanese anglers doing it and i must have had the idea in the back of my mind as i got a missed strike by my feet. ran it back n forth until i hooked upthree4.jpg.87fa9d599a30a27a5cd7e430ee6e4ca2.jpg

The only fish I have been able to be successful with an 8-trap are bass and pickerel coming from small, isolated creeks. I feel like the reason they fall for it is they are simply unpressured and want to get rid of the other fish in their defined territory.

I'm with the musky people...what goes around comes around...although it is nice to see it producing...that having been said i'v'e caught fish over the years in the Cali Delta ripping shallow diver snack size baits, 3-5 inches, parallel to the boat up tight against tulle berms & up tight to hyacinth mats...with limited success but caught several fish in the 3-5 lb range...just think outside the box...never know what will jump out...michel....Go Fish!!!

This has been around forever. It was jiggerpollin' back in the day. It's in all the old books. Roland Martin explains the technique and how the rod tip splashing is part of the presentation. Biggest fish Roland ever caught came on this technique. So does it work stateside? LOL it's worked before Japan was even thinking about it. Pictures post backwards, you can read from bottom to top. 

20181014_103123.jpg

20181014_103117.jpg

20181014_103110.jpg

Edited by Ceaser

• 1 year later...
On 9/2/2018 at 3:36 PM, danthefisherman said:

Those Japanese bass must have some special predator instinct that my fish don't haha

its not so much the fish as it is the waterbody. you've got crystal clear water with steep cover free cliffs. the bass have to chase down their prey instead of ambushing and pinning their food like ours do.

• 2 years later...