Chain Pickerel i-slide 185

mcclovinfishing

I went pond hopping around Salisbury, Maryland (Eastern Shore 30 minutes from Ocean City) and stumbled upon a creek that is runoff from a pond down town. 

The pond was about 10 feet wide and 2 feet deep, so I took a cast over a down tree and got a pickerel to follow the 185. Pickerel are the smaller cousin of the pike, and the state record for Maryland is 9 pounds. 

At the bank I did a few passes with an eight-trap and then paused and twitched it. I got the pickerel on the twitch after the pause. 

It is extremely fascinating to see what lurks in urban creeks, and how fish react to lures they’ve never seen before.

B5B137E3-AC8B-4818-BB35-E29FDA531599.thumb.jpeg.73e4faa54b6348dff2379dba455112df.jpeg

Edited by mcclovinfishing

On 9/19/2018 at 1:09 AM, Papabear said:

That’s awesome! I didn’t think they got that big

Thanks! Surprisingly I’ve caught a 23” pickerel on a mag fluke. The MD state record was caught where I go to school in Salisbury

• 1 month later...

We are located 15 minutes from Salisbury( Mardela/Sharptown area) ...I don't freshwater fish much around Wicomico County because I am honestly just not familiar with the ponds in the area, but I fish all the ponds from Delmar north to Bridgeville/Greenwood! Super cool to see someone so close to us that also enjoys swim-baiting!

5 hours ago, 95ShelbyGt said:

We are located 15 minutes from Salisbury( Mardela/Sharptown area) ...I don't freshwater fish much around Wicomico County because I am honestly just not familiar with the ponds in the area, but I fish all the ponds from Delmar north to Bridgeville/Greenwood! Super cool to see someone so close to us that also enjoys swim-baiting!

woah! small world. i’ll give you a follow on IG

4 hours ago, chevro1et said:

I'm definitely taking swimbait gear next time I go home to visit in Canada (Saskatchewan)... chase some Northern Pike :)

That sounds like a plan! I've been to Halliburton but only caught smallmouth. Im sure a tiny klash or something perch color would destroy