Garage built swimbait boat

jwrinkle

Hey Y'all, 

Just wanted to share my home built swimbait/hunt boat. I like to fish angles that put me in tight spots, and I wanted a small boat that was simple to tow and launch for the short sessions I'm able to squeeze in during the week. My tournament boat is comfortable and fast but charging 4 batteries and having to keep it in the driveway was starting to get old. I built this boat after seeing an ambush skiff for the first time. It seemed like it would be the perfect platform for a few rods and a small footprint.

She is 14' long, 48" beam, 100% aluminum, self bailing and filled with flotation foam. I put a gps trolling motor on it with remote because it's a little shaky standing all the way in the front. There are 3 hatches that hold my rain gear, baits and a few tools. The craigslist evinrude 15hp took some work to get going again, but pushes this tiny boat to 23mph which is a little sketchy. I did drop my cellphone on the maiden voyage and lost most of my build photos! No gunnels took a little getting used to, but I'm really enjoying it. What do y'all think?

little boat4.jpeg

little boat3.jpg

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I wish I still had the pics. I can tell you It’s overbuilt, and I would probably put less bracing in if I did it again. I also should have put a rigging tube under the top deck to run the transducer and electrical for the navigation lights. I’m not a huge fan of the fuel tank sitting out in the open but I wanted to keep the self bailing properties of the flat deck.