Mattlures Surface Twitch and Glide Modification

El_Weruso

Good Morning fellow S.U members, i thought i'd share how i turned a Mattlures surface twitch n glide into a slow sinking/suspend glide bait. With a better glide than the original action (In my opinion).

First Step: I used my dremel to dig out the center pin (that holds the 2 sections together) and tightened the screw eye joints about a quarter of an inch deeper to tighten the swimming action. Before the bait would have more of a jerking side to side action, rather than a smooth transition from glide to glide. 

Second Step: I drilled 6 holes that would fit tungsten weights in various locations where i knew there would be no screw eyes in the way. After that all i did was keep adding tungsten barrel weights until it would sink and sink evenly without nosing down or tailing down. Then i just sealed it with JB weld. How much weight did i use? I don't know, i should of kept track as i went! My mistake...

Third Step: I wasn't too fond of the location of the first screw eye so i drilled behind the gill area on the bottom side with a thinner drill bit than the 1" screw eye i was going to place. After that i just placed epoxy on the screw eye and screwed it in place. 

If there are any questions, feel free to ask and i'll do my best to answer. As for the tail, it got deformed from the heat in my car and Matt from Mattlures wouldn't respond or help me with a replacement, so Brock from Hiroshima customs provided me with an extra tail (along with replacements for my other Hiro baits, Truly nice guy) I will try to get a video of the action, swims beautifully! 

20181002_082707.jpg

20181002_082711.jpg

20181002_082728.jpg

Edited by Neill Hernandez

1 hour ago, Codyc said:

I have some true ss 10in trouts and they swim awesome very cool to see it’s not that hard to get the floater to sink 

I didn't know matt made these in SS, but yeah it was easy to modify this one. Just need a swim video to post

Here's the swim video on the mattlures, glides well and pushes out to each side on the pause between glides. The twitches are alright. (Excuse my voice, dont have any experience creating videos)

• 1 year later...

So I picked this bait up in the black market $100, half of retail. Had a few chips so wasn’t too concerned about modding it 

@El_Weruso hit me up asking if I got it and told me about the issues he had with his not gliding  smoothly and a few other things, all listed in this post. 

so after reading what he did and texting back N forth I figured I’d see how mine swam and make the mods as needed. 
well the first day of testing it confirmed what he said, the glide was very jerky and not very fluid. I tried different set ups/lines/etc to make sure it wasn’t operator error. Decided it needed to be modded. 
went home and took the bait apart. 
sanded a small area where the pin would be coming thru the belly, to my surprise there was a lot of filler already in the hole. 
dug out the filler just enough to find the point of the nail and used a flat head to push it out enough to grab. 
the nail was all rusty. 
upon inspection I saw the top screw eye was crooked. I made the necessary adjustments to close the gap to where Neil had has. I left the top of the nail sticking up so I could make adjustments while testing. 
i also added the front hook like his mod as well. You’ll notice the factory front hook is really far back. So I added a screw eye/epoxied it in place. 
took it to the pond the next day. Rigged with fresh rings and hooks, and closed joint the bait swam incredible on the surface. I made two more fine adjustments and spent a good amount of time working the bait numerous ways. It swims incredible now. 
got home, and epoxied the front half screw eyes in place, and cleaned up the inside one the joint as well. Epoxied the ss nail pin into place, up the size to a 2” as it was stouter than the 1.5” he had used. In the pic you can see it still sticking up for testing, but it’s flush now. 

left mine a floater figuring I can always wrap the hooks, and/or switch to heavier gauge hooks if I want to work it sub surface. 

thanks again for all the help and tips man, really improved the bait. 

9AB797DA-9EDE-4006-96B1-605A1477E28D.jpeg

74424D7D-F2A2-4301-8187-67F994B7029F.jpeg

7289461B-C992-4CEC-9458-B2490DD5EDC4.jpeg

0ECE3ED8-1C6B-429E-8802-856B13083CEE.jpeg

F75223B0-25F8-468C-8F87-1D40535B352C.jpeg

536CFBDE-F8DE-4378-A120-9BD3DA467737.jpeg

I always thought this bait looked fantastic but just wasnt my style in swim. Well done man. Really dig the new swim compared to original.  Now if you can post some catches to motivate me for a winter project! Haha! Thanks for sharing!

Edited by stkbass

16 hours ago, stkbass said:

I always thought this bait looked fantastic but just wasnt my style in swim. Well done man. Really dig the new swim compared to original.  Now if you can post some catches to motivate me for a winter project! Haha! Thanks for sharing!

I just have the one fish so far but i'm at fault for not fishing it more