Rain Gear

Niki814

I need new rain gear. I have light weight packable gear. I was looking for something for spring an fall. I was looking the Huk NxtLvL and the Typhoon gear. I read good reveiws an bad ones. My uncle loves his Carhartt storm defender gear. I was also looking at the Stormr jackets. I dont like neoprene waders so i dont know if i will like them. Whats every one use an like?

I love my Simms Pro Dry. Expensive but you can find some of the older models or colors on sale at times.

In all fairness, I am a big guy that tends to overheat. If needed, I layer the Pro Dry jacket with a vest underneath to keep my arm mobility for casting. 

I’ve worn this jacket in small boat trips in the ocean and it handles heavy sideways spray like a champ. The hood closes up like a ninja and my face stays dry (with glasses on).

I also have a Huk jacket, but it does not breath that great. Tossed all my Northface, Columbia, REI stuff into the non-fishing pile. 

Not sure what Simms does different than the other brands, but it helps me focus on the bite and not on the temperature or humidity.

Stormr nano pant and a good waterproof shell jacket or anorak( north face, Columbia, Patagonia etc. every one makes em these days I’ve found em for $20 at the gap that lasted 5+ years bone dry.) Easy to get in and out of, Freedom to layer up or peel off as needed. Keep it simple and save dough for more baits:mrgreen:

I picked up a realtree rain jacket this past spring. Its light an dont take up much room in my bag. I got them for $15 they where originally $99.99.. An my man hates when i make him go shoping with me lol. But i got him 1 an 3 others

In my past working life I worked with pretty closely with raingear polymers and manufacturers.  Its hard to go wrong with Gore-Tex stuff.  Its a fluoropolymer material that is very stable, tough, and long-lasting.  There are cheaper alternatives that are mostly polyurethane-based that won't perform as well or as long.  Rainy days are often  great fishing days and a set of good raingear will keep you comfortable all day.

7 hours ago, waynem said:

In my past working life I worked with pretty closely with raingear polymers and manufacturers.  Its hard to go wrong with Gore-Tex stuff.  Its a fluoropolymer material that is very stable, tough, and long-lasting.  There are cheaper alternatives that are mostly polyurethane-based that won't perform as well or as long.  Rainy days are often  great fishing days and a set of good raingear will keep you comfortable all day.

What brand do you like? Looking for something thats not going to stop working half way through the day. Or need to be recharged[washed in the stuff to make it water proof again.]

I've had good luck with Cabelas and Simms that were made with Gore-tex.  My tournament partner uses Bass Pro Shops (Gore-tex) bibs and jacket and is happy with them.  Cabelas sometimes runs sales on their Guidewear with deep discounts.  I'm sure there are other good manufacturers working with Gore-tex fabric out there.  I've fished plenty of 8 or 10 hour days in steady rain and been comfortable at the end of the day.  If you buy a PVC suit, it doesn't let any rain in but it also doesn't let any sweat out.  So you end up wet from your own sweat.  If you buy a polyurethane-based rain suit, it will work fine in light rain or a short rain event, but when you get an all-day soaker it exceeds the moisture transport of the polymer.  

My main point was to get a fluoropolymer based material.  I can attest that Gore is a quality organization.  I believe Toray and perhaps some others now make fluoro based fabric but I don't have any experience using their stuff.

When you are looking at bibs, pay attention to the chest zipper, and the ability to take a piss without pulling them down or off.

That's a deal breaker for me.

I recently bought a pair of Scheels Guidewear that performed GREAT on my last trip.  4 days of 40* temps, rain, and wind.  Loved them.  I need to find a jacket to match.  My current jacket is a Striker Performance Hoodie (rain coat).  While it is waterproof, the material it is made of absorbs moisture, and the outside layer gets waterlogged. 

12 hours ago, jthod said:

When you are looking at bibs, pay attention to the chest zipper, and the ability to take a piss without pulling them down or off.

That's a deal breaker for me.

I recently bought a pair of Scheels Guidewear that performed GREAT on my last trip.  4 days of 40* temps, rain, and wind.  Loved them.  I need to find a jacket to match.  My current jacket is a Striker Performance Hoodie (rain coat).  While it is waterproof, the material it is made of absorbs moisture, and the outside layer gets waterlogged. 

I have to pull them down to pee.lol. I did buy one of them funnels that let us girls stand to pee. I haven't tried it out yet.