Bluegill-bashing bass on the Mattlures Hardgill

Amistoad

It’s been a while since I was on my local lake here in the lone star state throwing swimbaits. I went last week when it was sunny and warm and scored zilch on a homebrew rat. Yesterday a major cold front blew through and temperatures dropped about 25 degrees to 49 degrees. NICE! Best of all, it’s good and cloudy. So I grabbed my gear, loaded my kayak and booked it to the water after dumping a couple of gallons of coffee down my word hole. I thought about topwaters and some of my other baits, but figured I best start with my A-number one confidence lure. That being the Mattlures slow sink hardgill of course. Possibly the best swimbaits in the world. The bass approved even after I switched colors just to see what might happen. No monsters today, but it was  good to feel the tug at the end of my line again. The fish were all shallow, busting bluegill and my baits. Should be a great winter here in Tejas. Thanks to everybody for sharing your catches and stories! They’re inspiring when I can’t get on the water. Hope you got out and got some this weekend!

E42B421B-C91A-4A8D-B10B-4BCC549942CF.jpeg

F84EDC93-35E5-4ADB-85E5-49B1A618FE59.jpeg

9777660A-AED6-4F85-AA7C-BE9BFDE79526.jpeg

252BEA39-E24D-4803-973A-73D962BD8F88.jpeg

Next week is supposed to be sunny and warm. Sucks. But I’ll see what’s going on anyway and report back if there’s anything to report. I still haven’t hooked anything on the Bulldozers I have so they’ll be in the rotation for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t had much love on the swimbaits the last few trips. Which is weird because I know the bass are eating tilapia! Like this 18” fish I found floating with an 8” tilapia wedged in its mouth. Both were still alive and swam off after I invited them to a photo shoot and released them. 

2E929D7D-68FB-4FE9-9F11-BED77D0EB6C0.jpeg

4AB9EDF4-3B70-4899-96FA-969E784D933F.jpeg

7 hours ago, bigpoppabass said:

Which pattern are you using? I usually add the lower orange lip myself on my Matts....btw, coffee in the word hole, neat phrase lol...

I usually use the crappie pattern since the bass in this lake are grazing on tilapia most of the time. But I also threw the bright male bluegill pattern.