Belly boats

apburninup

Show me y'all's belly boat setups, i have one but don't really have the confidence yet to go out on the water with it. Also wondering how it is throwing a swimbait from it and how you'd rig a rod holders to the side of it. Seen some pictures on the internet but can't see good enough to get an idea on how to make one. 

I earned the nickname of the turtleman as a youngster walking tube on my back home from a river drift. It was a time when mutant Ninja turtles were popular.....get the biggest tube you can...but yes I don't think getting out and in issue with flippers has ever been solved...I left issue with fins that easily detached but the best fins were laced on well.  

I fish out of a tube pretty regularly, and I have no issue throwing big baits out of mine. I haven't made rod holders yet for mine (because I am lazy) but I will have two 8' swimbait setups with me, my net and big bass board and getting around is no issue. Getting in and out can be annoying but other than that, I like it. Gets me off the shore and to areas off-limits to motorized boats. 

I have a fleet of tubes. An old-school, caddis round tube because I like resting my arms on the front and leverage my knees get in high winds. I use this for fly fishing for trout mostly.  O photos of that one but it’s a typical, round tube.

I also have a U-boat that I use for everything. It travels with me and is the perfect float tube. I have a strap-on road holder that holds an extra if I feel like bringing 2. I usually just bring one though since 2 gets crazy

Also have an ODC 420 by Creek Company that my wife has pretty much taken over. It floats you higher out of the water. I made a 3-rod pvc holder for it that clips and straps to the side. Nothing fancy, just a plan I saw online years ago. It was my main bass fishing rig until I got a Hobie Pro Angler kayak. Now that is my go-to. 

75132BBA-EBB6-4ECE-BEBD-97E6022CC33C.jpeg

4C673B5B-C695-49AE-BABA-87B59EA5C960.jpeg

1 hour ago, Cj_bassinish said:

I’ve been interested in buying one of these does anyone have any suggestions sorry to crash your post.

If you want to sit IN the water, a Creek comapny u boat or u boat 2000. They can be found brand new on eBay pretty cheap if you’re patient. They rock because there’s no bar between the u in front of where you sit so getting in and out is easy and movement is free. 

If you want to sit ABOVE the water, a Creek conpany ODC 420. Again, inexpensive, but solid construction with plenty of pocket space and a well behind the seat for storage. 

Edited by Amistoad

• 1 month later...

I currently fish out of a Classic Accessories Colorado pontoon. I rigged up fish finder on it utilizing a cutting board as the base and some nylon straps to secure it. I made the cuts in the board to run the straps through it with a dremel. The unit I use is a Humminbird PiranhaMax I got for about $120. I mounted my rod holder with zip ties and it holds up just fine. I attached some pics of it. Throwing swimbaits from the pontoon works out just fine but sometimes I feel like I could use more leverage on hook sets but being on the pontoon is relaxing in itself so I don’t mind compromising. I think the fish finder mount idea would work pretty similar on a belly boat but I have seen they sell mounts with battery packs made specifically for them. I also own a caddis tube I used to use but have since upgraded. I didn’t have rod holders for the side but I believe I saw one on amazon. I’d be interested to see other members rigs as well. 

886E677A-ADE2-456D-9D3F-0A33A6099978.jpeg

FD3A3A3D-6243-41E1-87C5-4C4DDB47AA6F.png

0967D635-742D-4843-88A9-4997170D6F43.jpeg

A4CED949-0104-43D4-AC93-8A73D16E4E35.jpeg

6C364FF9-EAF0-493D-A13C-865A2228B624.jpeg