Story of the night bite

Bass the east

Since the lakes are freezing over here in MA I suppose I’ll get my fix by telling stories all winter. So.. it’s late June, my brother and I take a trip to Maine to fish my favorite lake for the weekend. Arrived around 10pm and the lake was glass calm and moon bright as ever. I had a real good feeling. We roll up to the first rocky point and IMMEDIATLY get bit. First fish went 5,3 on the G2. After that I was getting blow ups, swirls, swooshes, and hook ups almost every cast with a solid mixture of aggressive smallmouth and largemouth. Since my bro (wacky worm guy) doesn’t throw big baits, I gave him my slammer setup and reluctantly joined the wake bait fun. Combined we put around 20-25 fish in the boat that night. Even doubled up on a 3 and 4. We were out there all night catching fish, laughing and cracking jokes, having DAMN good time. I think I could’ve casted out my shoe and these fish would’ve hit it. Then about 3am rolls around and the bite literally shut off. I mean we went from a hectic feeding frenzy to not a single bite in a split second. To this day I don’t know what urged these bass to go crazy like that. It happens to me about 2-3 times a year, this time being exceptionally fun. Some people say it’s the moon cycle. To me it’s just the luck of the draw. Here’s some of the few pictures we took of the bigger ones.

My setup:

dobyns 795

13 fishing A3

17lb CXX

shellcracker G2

Bros setup:

dobyns 806

tranx 300

20lb CXX

9” 2x slammer

FF4BAEAA-0A1A-4519-9BFC-842A4FCA59F6.jpeg

78DD3C89-FBF3-49C8-BBA1-3F2304CB3388.jpeg