Garmin Striker 4 Portable Kit

JoshPerkins802

@bigpoppabass @JoshPerkins802 I'm actually in the market for my first fishfinder but have no clue what to look for haha. Would this be compatible for use on an inflatable kayak and is it waterproof? I've been trying to research and have been eyeballing the $99 Striker 4 unit as well as the portable kit unit on Amazon but can't find much info...thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, danthefisherman said:

@bigpoppabass @JoshPerkins802 I'm actually in the market for my first fishfinder but have no clue what to look for haha. Would this be compatible for use on an inflatable kayak and is it waterproof? I've been trying to research and have been eyeballing the $99 Striker 4 unit as well as the portable kit unit on Amazon but can't find much info...thanks in advance!

I use mine for ice fishing it is very easy to use. I don't think any ff is waterproof. 

42 minutes ago, bigpoppabass said:

I don't think any ff is waterproof. 

That's what I'm afraid of. I have a generic inflatable kayak from Costco that I can see rolling over pretty easily. Do you just plop the transducer into the water with a float when you're ice fishing then? I was trying to look up how to go about installing the unit on an inflatable and generally it's attached to the rudder, but the rudder on my kayak is clipped onto the bottom of the boat and can only be accessed when I'm out of the boat on dry land and can flip the whole thing upside down.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but I'm still a newbie when it comes to electronics. If anyone has a hard shell kayak or johnboat without a fishfinder you should jump on this...the portable kit retails for $180 new without the added bonus of helping out a great dude and fellow member. Glws Josh!

57 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

That's what I'm afraid of. I have a generic inflatable kayak from Costco that I can see rolling over pretty easily. Do you just plop the transducer into the water with a float when you're ice fishing then? I was trying to look up how to go about installing the unit on an inflatable and generally it's attached to the rudder, but the rudder on my kayak is clipped onto the bottom of the boat and can only be accessed when I'm out of the boat on dry land and can flip the whole thing upside down.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but I'm still a newbie when it comes to electronics. If anyone has a hard shell kayak or johnboat without a fishfinder you should jump on this...the portable kit retails for $180 new without the added bonus of helping out a great dude and fellow member. Glws Josh!

Yakers use ffs all of the time. I don't yak. My unit has a suction cup attachment for transducer. I don't use that but instead taped a large cigar bobber adjusted for ice fishing so it sits against the ice and transducer is on edge of bottom of ice. 

Edited by bigpoppabass