crankdown hype vs silent killer

Rangermike

Crankdown are obviously the hot baits toxic baits are red hot and g2s, billed shellcrackers, slammers and basically anything else with a bill is selling good. So why are silent killers so overlooked? I have used one especially the 175 so any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Mike,

Bills are only beneficial for people that have lots of snags wether it's rocks, sticks, stumps or rip rap. The bill hits the snag and the hooks vear free from harm's way.  

Secondly the billed baits hit a certain depth without any BS.

Thirdly the bIt has a more subtle action similar to a crank bait.

Anything else?

Glidepride

Because they suck maybe.  I have a silent killer golden trout convert that I threw alot last season without a sniff. It might swim too nicely or something like that, has been an enigma for me. Maybe change out saltwater hooks it has?.  But part of me was happy it did not sell when I listed it on the black market.

Honestly crankdowns are more like oversized crankbaits and jerkbaits. They work doing traditional bass techniques and in traditional areas I think that’s why they are so popular you don’t have to be in a clear trout lake for them to shine. 

The catch is you have to fish them bang them into cover, rip it, stop and go sometimes to really get bit. 

I think there is another advantage to the bill btw it moves a lot of water. I have a few hardgills and I do better in the billed version if I’m ripping it stop and go getting a reaction bite. If you rip and bait with a bill it still kicks and swims better than no bill same with shellcrackers. Baits with no bill give you a lot of control but the down swim fast. That’s also a downside to the bill it’s a more mechanical action but if your getting reaction bites it doesn’t matter. 

If deps realeased the silent killer this year it would be on fire but I think part of reason it’s not is it’s been around and kind of forgotten. Another reason it’s not hot is you can buy them when you want so guys don’t feel like they have to hoard them like hard to find baits. 

I often wondered about the SK as well.  Like people have posted already as soon as someone buys one, removing the lip is usually the first thing they do.  I fish crankdowns a lot but I also fish glides and I find there is more to it the bill than deflecting it from cover.  I almost take 3 to 5 swimbait setups with me depending on which boat I'm using and how many people are onboard.  More than 90% of the time I'm going to have a glide on one rod and a crankdown on another and I'm going to take some casts with each in the first 30 minutes.  Some days the fish prefer one over the other regardless of cover- who know why, they just do.  I'd be interested in hearing from SU members who are running the unmodified SK.

BTW my first crankdowns were the Castaics pictured.  I believe these were made around 1996-98.  I didn't even have a swimbait setup yet so I tossed them on a saltwater striper spinning rod.  After seeing what they produced I went out and bought a real swimbait rod/reel and that began the wallet drain.

FullSizeRender.jpg

They just aren’t getting bit well. I know very few people catching fish on the sk. That being said, the ones who are swear by them. IMO, cranking baits are excellent baits because of their versatility. Most of them you can wake and/or crank. Especially the ones which will wake at slow speeds and crank deep. Not many baits can be fished on top and 8-10’ down. So i can make a cast with a floating crank up into the brush in 1 fow and slow twitch it out. The very next cast can be parallel to a channel drop and I can effectively crank down to where the fish might be hanging on that drop in 5-10’. Definitely no hype in the world of cranks. The sk on the other hand doesn’t seem to cut it so well. 

4 hours ago, Wes Peart said:

I don't ever think I've ever even seen someone post a fish caught on a SK. Everyone just buys them and immediately converts them to a 250

Go looks at sicpacksam (something like that) on insta. Dude caught about a 9 on one

I think everyone could benefit from giving the fish a different action than what they see from glides and lipless multijointed baits. There’s been days I couldn’t get a bite on a lipless bait and I tied on a crankdown and started catching fish. And other days it’s been the oppisite. Nothing wrong adding more variety to your tackle.