Reel bearings/ upgrade

KeepCastin

I’ve got some bearings that need replacing. Do you guys replace with aftermarket bearings or just call Daiwa/Shimano and get the stock bearings?

Also thinking about adding bearings to replace the worm gear bushing, interested to see if anyone else has done it and is it worth it?

Go on Boca bearings website and look up you're reel. They'll have options as far as ss or ceramic and whole bearing kits for levelwinds. It's up to you whether or not it's worth the investment for the levelwind. Everything does run a little smoother but you never really have to worry about bushings.

Before replacing your bearings, I highly suggest doing a complete flush and re-lube. I do this to brand new reels and it makes a noticeable difference. Of course, if they are damaged, then you'll need to replace.  Boca, ZPI, and Hedgehog all make great aftermarket bearings, you really can't go wrong with any of them

13 minutes ago, bigpoppabass said:

Not exactly feeling the ceramic bearing craze. Noisy and smooth drives me cray cray. To get oil into em is no easy task not easy entering rubber seal without damaging it. 

You can remove the rubber seal 

23 minutes ago, bigpoppabass said:

Not exactly feeling the ceramic bearing craze. Noisy and smooth drives me cray cray. To get oil into em is no easy task not easy entering rubber seal without damaging it. 

Take that rubber seal off and throw it away. Ceramic bearings will outlast any reel that they're put into. 1 little drop of oil is all you need anyway.

Just now, MA Frog Man said:

Take that rubber seal off and throw it away. Ceramic bearings will outlast any reel that they're put into. 1 little drop of oil is all you need anyway.

Ok will do that. Have seen that in a couple of reels I have purchased from bm and just thought they didn't have the seal. 

20 minutes ago, bigpoppabass said:

7 minutes ago, basskickinredneck said:

You can remove the rubber seal 

The rubber seal is much easier to remove than standard bearings, just use a sharp hook and they pop right out, it's that easy. With traditional bearings you have to remove two retainers and two shields per. It can be a pain in the ass, especially with smaller bearings, but it's the only way to get traditional bearing cleaned and lubed properly. 

Just now, bigpoppabass said:

Yeah but doesn't that defeat the purpose of never going near em again? 

No it makes it much easier to flush them out if they ever get anything in them. Flushing out stainless bearings takes much longer if you don't take off the shields. The shields are pretty tough to get off if you haven't done it before.

1 hour ago, bigpoppabass said:

Hedgehog air hd and zpi sic only have the seal on one side. If you want a solid SS bearing check out the hedgehog studio ZR.  Hedgehog and zpi bearing are  equivalent in ratings to ABEC9  

As others have stated, flush out your stocks before considering upgrading. I use the abc hobby refresher with brakleen and add 1 drop of corrosion x after flushing them out using compressed air to dry. 

If you wanna stick with ss bearings, I believe abec 5s are available (slightly more forgiving). Shield or no sheild... up to you.