How much line capacity is enough?

Flash

I'm having my first swimbait rod built right now by Moamsticks and am looking for a reel for it. I have several in mind but I have a Tatula SV TW that is new in box. Would it hold enough line? I'm thinking by estimating it should hold around 75-85 yards of 20# Mono. I plan to mostly use 17-20# line.

11 minutes ago, Badfish562 said:

Backing it with the braid of your choosing at least half way would help increase your line capacity.

What kind of leader knot do you use? I used braid briefly on a spinning reel to fluorocarbon leader but had problems with the Albright I think was the knot...anyway that’s why I stopped using braid I just couldn’t trust the connection.

Edited by Flash

If you think you'll be casting super far and using 20lb line (Based on lure weight) with at least 50% braid backing then you'll need a 400. I have a lexa 300 with braid backing to mono and on a full cast i get to my braid. With 25lb mono i definitely get to my backing. NOW on my calcutta 400TE braid to mono I don't ever see my braid. 

I have about 30 yards of 20# mono on top of 50# maxcuatro power pro with a albright (theres multiple names for it) knot on my Chronarch 200E7 that I use mostly for flutter spoons but I will occasionally tie on a small swimbait as well as I have it paired with a GLoomis 904c. Never had issues with having my knot come thru guides on a cast but I also dont typically do bomb casts but rather flipping the bait 20 yards at most. The exact technique does matter in how the line is set up. However I do agree with Neil  saying previously a bigger reel would be crucial with holding more capacity of line as you prefer straight mono/flouro. 

1 hour ago, Flash said:

What kind of leader knot do you use? I used braid briefly on a spinning reel to fluorocarbon leader but had problems with the Albright I think was the knot...anyway that’s why I stopped using braid I just couldn’t trust the connection.

I used a san diego jam knot, make loop the leader line (Mono) pass the braid through the loophole from the bottom spiral down about 6 wraps then 6 wraps back up in between the previous wraps and pass the braid back through the mono loop from the top down. This knot is strong!! I've had my improved clinch knot to my baits break before my braid to mono knot lol 

The problem with going to a reel with small line capacity is in the line take-up on the retrieve.  With low capacity reels the diameter of line left on the reel at the end of a long cast will be a lot smaller than the diameter of the line on the spool when the retrieve is finished.  Because of that you have to turn the handle faster at the beginning of the cast to get the same speed as the bait gets closer to you.  With large capacity reels the change in diameter is not as significant. As already mentioned the use of braid will reduce this effect, but not everyone likes braid for swimbaiting.

Depends on how you fish. I enjoy bombing a 250 over long points, so a 60 size (400 size equivalent I think) Toro Rocket fits the bill. If you fish out of a float tube, or like close quarters fishing, the 200 size should do you just fine. 

9 minutes ago, waynem said:

The problem with going to a reel with small line capacity is in the line take-up on the retrieve.  With low capacity reels the diameter of line left on the reel at the end of a long cast will be a lot smaller than the diameter of the line on the spool when the retrieve is finished.  Because of that you have to turn the handle faster at the beginning of the cast to get the same speed as the bait gets closer to you.  With large capacity reels the change in diameter is not as significant. As already mentioned the use of braid will reduce this effect, but not everyone likes braid for swimbaiting.

This^^^^