Glow In the Dark..ideas?

Jinxd12

Waynem, Great response. I have been looking around alot. The post from Mattlures I attached has me thinking that it wouldnt be geared towards bass...so might have to do it on the cheap 1st time around. I will look for products with the strontium though.

1 hour ago, Jinxd12 said:

Waynem, Great response. I have been looking around alot. The post from Mattlures I attached has me thinking that it wouldnt be geared towards bass...so might have to do it on the cheap 1st time around. I will look for products with the strontium though.

If you search for "strontium glow" on eBay you will find plenty of sellers.  The greenish yellow color has the longest lasting glow.

As far as it working for bass, I've heard things both ways.  I will say that this is not an new idea.  There were quite a few bass baits made in the early to mid 1900s with glowing baits, often using radium.  The pic below is a Moonlight Bait Company bait.  Moonlight was started in 1908 and lasted 20 years before they were bought out.  Based on the number of luminous antique bass baits (Moonlight, Heddon, Creek Chub, etc.) that collectors find, they obviously caught fish back then.  Let us know how you do if you make one.

Unknown.jpeg

Just ordered some strontium powder, I think 1oz is like $8. 

I think i have a crazy idea....what do you all think????

Just recieved in the mail a DEPS 250 nude black with the paint removal mod done. Most people add the foil under the skin, this has the scale pattern. The crazy idea would be to add the new foils or paint over existing pattern with the glow in the dark powder/paint then put the skins back on. In theory just the area where the paint has been removed would glow, I bet no one has a GID DEPS250!

Edited by Jinxd12

On 4/11/2019 at 5:04 PM, bigpoppabass said:

I fished a nh torney once and unh college folks were testing for strontium from a vt nuclear power plant discharge.  Not sure if it is the same stuff. 

The radioactive stuff is strontium-90.  Not the same as the strontium aluminate in GID pigment.

17 hours ago, Jinxd12 said:

Just ordered some strontium powder, I think 1oz is like $8. 

I think i have a crazy idea....what do you all think????

Just recieved in the mail a DEPS 250 nude black with the paint removal mod done. Most people add the foil under the skin, this has the scale pattern. The crazy idea would be to add the new foils or paint over existing pattern with the glow in the dark powder/paint then put the skins back on. In theory just the area where the paint has been removed would glow, I bet no one has a GID DEPS250!

Do a Google search for "strontium glow tape". You should find a bunch of options for adhesive tapes ($15 or so) that are made with the correct pigment.  Using that under the skin would be easier than mixing the dry pigment.

I ordered some stuff off Amazon that I'm going to try, it was 4.5 stars and people said they used it on a few fishing lures like spoons. 

Just need to go to hobby lobby to pick up some of that sparkle tape stuff.

I was also reading I can apply it with clear acrylic nail polish, which itself is water proof. Worst case is I remove the tape and try a different method, or scrap the priject

Defiantly following this one.  I’ve been wondering the same thing, and thinking about painting one of my rats with some kind of glow paint.  I have a little cylindrical keychain made with tritium that I was thinking about dangling from the front of a rat.  Might be cool for tracking the bait on a cast in pitch black conditions.