UFO Bait Co Interview

SU News

• SU News

Swimbait Underground is excited to announce our next limited bait release with UFO Bait Company (@ufobaitco).  The featured bait will be a 3 piece waking gill painted by @Bassjak_ in an exclusive SU color way.   The wakes will be 6 inches long weighing 2.75 ounces.  The drop will be today at 10 AM PST.  Additionally we interviewed Erik, the man behind the baits, to get some more info on his story.

bait box.JPG

Where are you from? 

I’m from Northern California but I currently live in San Diego.

catfish.jpg

How long have you been fishing?

I have been fishing since I could walk.  My grandpa use to take me out as a young kid on the river and Delta.  We would catch bass, salmon, steelhead, and striper. 

bassjack ufo.jpg

Which was your favorite to target? 

It was striper, I loved how aggressive and big they got!  But my favorite quickly switched to largemouthbass as I got older.

ufo dd ryan.jpg

Erik with his first DD on his own bait.

When did you learn about swimbaits?

I learned about big swimbaits in 2014 and have been addicted ever since!  It was in San Diego I was fishing the lake and I seen a guy tossing a big trout swimbait I googled em and came up with a hudd and that got me started and there was no lookin back.  I have since given up conventional fishing.

1 ufo realistic.jpg

When did you start making baits?

Started making baits bout 3 years ago seriously. I’ve made little popper out of wood when I was a kid but as of three years I have been taking it real serious with swimbaits! 

ufo.jpg

UFO Bait Co contest entry from @itz_charley_fool with a stud on the slow sink gill.

As a newer baitmaker in the industry what has been your approach for making a name for your baits stand out against others? 

Honestly, quality control.  It takes a lot of time I test the baits before paint and after paint to ensure they’re doing everything right to catch fish! I also believe in great customer service and taking the time to connect with customers as fisherman rather then just customers anyone who needs any tips or ways to fish the bait.  I make sure we take time to explain to them, I feel this is what really makes us stand out the baits have put a lot of beginners on there first swimbait fish!

bryan ufo.jpg

@bassbass with his first UFO DD.

How many different style baits do you offer?

There are 9 total currently but only 3 have been released.

2.jpg

What is your favorite part of being a bait maker? 

My favorite part of being a bait makers has to be seeing that excitement when people stick fish on your hand made bait and enjoy it as much as I do! It Has to be one the best feeling along with catching em your self on something you created it’s a great feeling! Definitely gets me pumped when I see people catching DD bass on the bait! 

dd choked ufo.jpg

From Instagram, @__yungmoua's younger brother with a DD. 

Four double digits on your baits so far?

Five so far! There was another recently caught bout 2 weeks ago in Florida! 

4.jpg

@bassbass with a new PB on his cranking UFO gill.

What advise would you give to individuals trying to get into making baits? 

Don’t give up! There was so many points where we were just like this is not working! There isn’t much info out there about bait making so most things learned were from trial and error! Stick with it and when things get tough it’s cuz you're almost there, keep pushing! 

bait sticker.JPG

How did you hear about Swimbait Underground?

I heard about SU just googling swimbait stuff and I happened to stumble upon it I learned soo much from the community it’s insane. One the best places for swimbait info I send everyone that’s interested in swimbaits there to learn!

ufo toad.jpg

@__yungmoua on the hunt through the night.

What is your favorite part of the swimbait community?

The closeness of the community.  The way everyone helps each other out and the diversity of people into it!  It’s badass how you can learn from everyone you fish with - beginners or experts! There’s always room to grow.

ufo japan.jpg

UFO getting bit in Japan.  Photo: @ang_sk8 on Instagram.

So we have seen your baits painted by bassjak, the basshole, and a few others so far.  Do you have any more collabs planned for the future? 

They are my painters as I currently don’t paint. Cory Schell will be doing a two faced gill for us here soon! Dude can sling paint too.

bassjack ufp.jpg

Anything you would like to add?

I’d just like to say thanks to everyone and Swimbait Underground for giving us a shot!

Thank you very much to Erik from UFO Bait Company for everything.  Follow him on Instagram at @ufobaitco to stay up to date on bait drops, preorders, and recent catches.

3.jpg

View full record

Guest Vfricano1461

Erik has to be one of the nicest and informative bait makers I’ve ever had a pleasure to do business with. This guy goes above and beyond with everything, especially customer service. Thanks Erik for providing the best quality and amazing customer service! 

• 2 weeks later...