Help Throwing big baits in toothy critter infested waters

jackwald

Okay I'm just getting into swim baiting and have picked up some TTs, a Matt lures hard gill, some 68 specials, and a plethora of 316 hard and soft baits . But I fish some Michigan lakes that have a decent amount of pike how do you guys keep the toothy fish off your baits?

I can't speak to keeping your baits safe from toothy fish, but I fish a lot of water that is infested with alligators. Many times you will see them following the swimbait so you can reel it in as fast as possible. Sometimes you never see them coming. It's fishing and you are going to lose some lures. It sucks when you lose a nice hardbait (one that you might not be able to replace), but I would rather lose one that way rather than casting it off due to a failed knot or putting it into a tree. Sorry for going off topic, but someone on the SU will definitely provide some insight.

Chances are that wont keep them off your baits. I think the best think to do is setting up a leader that the toothy critters cant bite through.

I was just on St. Clair last week and out of paranoia used 12"-18" of 180lb fluoro, crimped to owner solid rings at each end. Tied my mainline direct to one ring, and threaded the other ring on to the split ring on the OG wake. I'm sure 180 is way overkill. Most guys I talked to are using 80-100lb.

I also live in Michigan in some lakes I run into the occasional Pike and there are a others where they are very plentiful and I usually hook at least one at these lakes when I go. Maybe I have been lucky but I've only lost a Hudd and a shad bait the last couple of years throwing swimbaits, that said I don't use swimbaits exclusively as some do which would no doubt would lead to more Pike/ Musky encounters if I did.

It's a tough call but I choose to fish without a leader because a leader would likely cost me bites and since it's rare that I lose a bait to the toothy critters I'm willing to take that chance. For the lakes with heavy Esox populations I'm more likely to use a less expensive easily replaced bait like a BBZ or soft baits which generally aren't as expensive. That said it's a tough call and a heavy Florocarbon leader seems like it would be a much better option than a steel leader if you go that route.

I should mention, I went to St. Clair to catch fish with teeth. While I've caught muskies before, it's not something I've done a lot. There are a lot of guys here who know a lot more than I do.

I tie 80 lb flourocarbon for a leader, it works well I tie to the bait with a 4 turn sand diego jam knot, and I tie to the mainline with a crazy alberto if using braid, it using mono I splice with a heavy spro swivel, although I think it cost me bites. Those setups have accounted for 7 Muskies this year a lot of pike.

I've used 50-lb and 80-lb mono leaders, tied to the mainline with an Albright, and then either tied directly to the lure or to a snap. That being said I've caught a fair number of pike without any leader of any kind, but I know there's a risk, especially with the smaller baits that might get engulfed.

This is where I get mine:

http://jacksonlures.com/Commerce2/FinnLeaders.htm

I get the 7 strand, titanium. You can choose what # leader you want. I like the 30#. These are the only titanium leaders that wont slip! I personally hate the heavy fluorocarbon leaders but to each there own. The weakest component on the 30# leader is 42.5#. The wire is very thin and has a very low visibility. Also because it is so thin, it doesn't mess up the action on the bait as bad.

I do not use leader with topwater. A hanging leader looks terrible on a floating bait. Whether the fish care or not, I don't know but I am going to roll the dice on topwater baits.. Hope this helps.

Okay thanks everyone ! You guys still catching bass with the heavy leaders? I could careless about catching pike I'm just seeing what I can do to prevent getting cut off in case I do get bit by some northern

Okay thanks everyone ! You guys still catching bass with the heavy leaders? I could careless about catching pike I'm just seeing what I can do to prevent getting cut off in case I do get bit by some northern

I catch smallmouth all the time in the Potomac when I'm throwing swimbaits with a leader.