Korean native species - Gang Jun-Chi

chevro1et

This is a native Korean species of freshwater fish called Gang Jun-chi (강준치) or the common English name is "river tarpon", although they are not related to tarpon at all. They are baitfish eaters, and I catch them occasionally, usually about half of this size, on underspins / spinnerbaits / topwater walking baits.

I was paralleling the break line along the bank with a 5.8 Keitech at a spot where I've caught some good bass in the past. This fish absolutely trucked it with about 15 yards of line out and proceeded to bring the ruckus. They fight similar to a Northern Pike, heavy bulldogging and surges, no jumping.

It's about the biggest one I've caught in 3.5 years of fishing in Korea, weighed in right at 4lbs. Any questions, feel free to ask and I will try my best to answer them.

IMG_20190507_090258.jpg

That is one cool fish!  As a card-carrying fish nerd, I had to do some digging to try figure out what type of fish it was, because I'd never heard of it.  The best I can do is get it to the genus Chanodichthys, which means fish with immense mouth.  Here's a pic of a fish in the genus - is this what they look like?

Definitely a very cool catch!

1 minute ago, FishDr said:

That is one cool fish!  As a card-carrying fish nerd, I had to do some digging to try figure out what type of fish it was, because I'd never heard of it.  The best I can do is get it to the genus Chanodichthys, which means fish with immense mouth.  Here's a pic of a fish in the genus - is this what they look like?

Definitely a very cool catch!

Pretty close, but not quite. The tail is a bit different, more forked and black. Let me dig up a couple other pics...

hlFjqvc.jpg

This one was caught a couple of years ago on a 4.8 Keitech / 5/0 Flashy Swimmer underspin.

22 minutes ago, FishDr said:

That is one cool fish!  As a card-carrying fish nerd, I had to do some digging to try figure out what type of fish it was, because I'd never heard of it. 

According to Naver (the Korean internet, lol)...

yc7aNzz.png

I was close, very close!  Such cool looking fish - large, predatory members of the minnow family.  They remind me, a little, of the big predatory minnows we have here in the US - the Colorado, Northern, and Sacramento pikeminnows.