Goggles are a must...

Dirtroadhound

Thank god I had my goggles with me.  I took the Mullet out today with the wife and family.   I was throwing the phoney and snap.  The line broke during a cast at the top eye of the pole and there went my phoney.  I immediately hit the spot lock on the ultrex, emptied my pockets and dove in.  Yelled for my wife to get my goggles and went diving. After about 10 minutes, I found it sitting on the bottom in 8ft of water amongst big rocks. Two feet of visibility.  Had my hand held metal detector in the boat also, but did not need it.  Goggles saved the day bc I wear contacts and could not see crap without them.  

64C33B03-D5B4-424E-9BF1-320631DB5E07.jpeg

On 7/14/2019 at 10:33 PM, Dirtroadhound said:

I took the Mullet out today with the wife and family. 

64C33B03-D5B4-424E-9BF1-320631DB5E07.jpeg

On 7/15/2019 at 12:28 AM, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

Thats a freaking stellar stache you got there

I think the Mullet and Stache are a combo deal! 

JK, but that’s awesome you found it, relatively easy. That sound of the line snapping always cause a cringe 

I tell you one thing though, it sure makes it hard to enjoy fishing as much once you decide to tie on an expensive bait like that.  Always in fear of it breaking off, so I am not comfortable fishing near any real cover.  I wish I could forget how much they cost and just fish it like it is a $5 bait.  Oh well, at least this one came back to me this time.  Thanks, everyone. 

Goggles are a good idea, or, if you've got space in your boat, a mask, snorkel, and fins can come in handy.  I like the marker buoy idea as well!  I roll an 8' cataraft so there's not space for much stuff, but I do have a marker buoy that I can drop on a spot that looks interesting (or that I've lost a lure on).