Dobyns Fury 806 vs Irod Gen. 2 804 “bailey swim”?

jigginwood

I’ve been getting into the swimbait game more and more and broke my 7’9 Cabela’s Tournament ZX that was perfect for my 6” bullshads/ hudd 68’s/ 168 s waver / islide 185 etc. Since I’ve broken that rod i’ve read every forum topic on sb rods such as fury, irod, dx, okuma gs, phenix m1 that’s out there. I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to these two since they seem to get the best feedback. I will be throwing 6-9” bullshads, 168-200 s wavers, other 6-10” glides and so on and i’ll get a jig hook rod later. Any opinions on which rod and why will be greatly appreciated. I’m open to any rod suggestions, just wanting to keep it around $150.

Thank you. 

I had the bailey swim and did not care for it that much. Ended up throwing a lot of the baits i wanted to use it for on my fury 795 instead and doing lob casts just as far. Just was a little stiff. Didnt seem to load and throw super comfortably. And one of the eyes broke out because of leader knots. 

Id go with the dobyns. Best bang for the bucks. I havent had personal experience with the fury 806. But the 795 and 867 have both been great to me. 

2 hours ago, SethMuffinson said:

I had the bailey swim and did not care for it that much. Ended up throwing a lot of the baits i wanted to use it for on my fury 795 instead and doing lob casts just as far. Just was a little stiff. Didnt seem to load and throw super comfortably. And one of the eyes broke out because of leader knots. 

Id go with the dobyns. Best bang for the bucks. I havent had personal experience with the fury 806. But the 795 and 867 have both been great to me. 

Alright buddy. Thank you for your response! 

You have 2 issues here. A treble hook rod tend to be more parabolic and less good for jig hook baits which need a stiffer rod. Also, you're throwing a big range and one rod that covers both tend to be hard to come by. So you need to choose what is your 'priority'.  The Dobyns 806 is a treble bait rod/more parabolic. It's also best 2-4ish oz baits.  So swaver 168 great. not good for swaver 200.  Can it do it? Sure, is it nice/ideal? no? Can it do jig hooks? i imagine very not ideal.

So if you throw bigger baits (4-6oz) vs small/meridum (2-4oz) consider Dobyns 867.  The 867 can do jig baits too. Not ideal but better than 806. The 806 doesn't do jig well especially huds.  Will be ok for smaller bluegil 3-4" jig hooks. 

Hope this helps.

51 minutes ago, boylah said:

You have 2 issues here. A treble hook rod tend to be more parabolic and less good for jig hook baits which need a stiffer rod. Also, you're throwing a big range and one rod that covers both tend to be hard to come by. So you need to choose what is your 'priority'.  The Dobyns 806 is a treble bait rod/more parabolic. It's also best 2-4ish oz baits.  So swaver 168 great. not good for swaver 200.  Can it do it? Sure, is it nice/ideal? no? Can it do jig hooks? i imagine very not ideal.

So if you throw bigger baits (4-6oz) vs small/meridum (2-4oz) consider Dobyns 867.  The 867 can do jig baits too. Not ideal but better than 806. The 806 doesn't do jig well especially huds.  Will be ok for smaller bluegil 3-4" jig hooks. 

Hope this helps.

Yes it does. I appreciate it. 

Tbh the Bailey Swim isn't bad, however the handle size is a breaker for me. I see that you can now buy handles for the rods but for me I rather put the money somewhere else like food... Jk. Dobyns also isn't bad but i've had some 806's seem like they are defective, they can't seem to cast very well seems too flimsy for the blank. I mean all i've thrown on the 806' are 8inch huds and 6'8 huds for bottom baits and the S Waver 168 and 200's for glides, it does kinda well but my rod i got i can't cast the baits very far its just too flimsy. Loomis used to have an Amazing glide bait rod but they discontinued it. I let a friend borrow it and it broke so heart broken truly amazing rod. I would probably still go with Dobyns due to handle but i hope they fixed this flimsy blank thing.