Megabass magdraft rigging

jakem1895

The 8 inch magdraft is one of my favorite baits and I’ve had a lot of success with it. It’s definitely come at a cost though. Fishing it around cover has made me lose quite a few baits due to the bottom hook. Here is my solution. It’s a variation of a BB rig with 80lb braid and a size one treble. Just wanted to see if anyone else has tried something like this with the bait and had any success or come across problems.

CFE47F5B-191D-4124-8244-E30506AB639F.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Was going to make a post asking about a BB rig on one of these.. more interested in the 10 inch, I’ve heard weedless with the 12/0 beast hook is ok, also have seen guys make the belly treble further down the bait with a decoy quad hook.. @jakem1895 any updates throwing it with the bb rig? Anyone else have any tips they don’t mind sharing 

34 minutes ago, Gdimop96 said:

Not positive but I think those only come in 6 inch

I was super pumped when the freestyles were announced but like you said, only in the 6" length. I think that was an under sight on megabass's behalf. 

Swim it and let us know. I have changed hooks on the 8 inch and it seems to affect the swim. I always thought they a were touchy anyway. As far as swim speed goes. I think that BB rig is awesome. Maybe put the same amount of weight in the bottom. Like a nail weight same weight as a hook would be. I have never tried it. If it does well for you please let us know. 

Just got the 10 incher in the mail. This is how I’ll be rigging it,single strand, ghetto haywire twist just moving that treble further down the belly switched the hook to a decoy quad 1/0 I only had 1/0 I think size 1 would be better and more stealth.You would need to watch underwater footage to make sense of what I’m about to say.. the reason I chose to move the belly treble further back as opposed to a bb rig on top is because of the rolling motion this bait does when it deflects off structure on the bottom. 

7A57EAEA-6B39-46B3-A410-310F9CC9D7C9.jpeg

Some will disagree but personally I think if there was a big treble sticking out on top or even that big stock treble on the belly on the first half of the bait it would be more prone to snagging at first contact to structure.. I just think after the bait rolls over and u start ur retrieve again causing the bait to swim truly, having the hook further down the bait will get snagged less... if I’m fishing heavy grass with not a lot to get snagged on then I might switch to the top or even do the weedless beast hook method .. hope what I say helped

E8C1F801-6D21-45B1-A9CB-BEB012D7557B.png