Curado vs Calcutta

nightsessions

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an older Curado bantam that i am using right now. Thinking about getting that fixed up and getting a Calcutta so i will have a Curado and a Calcutta. Is the dsv in a whole different range quality rise than the bantam or are they pretty similar?

On a H Custom on up, I would like a 400 over a 300 (that's me)

On a H Production, I would go 300 all the way......

I have a Curado 300E on my LDCustom H and it's friggin' awesome. 99% of the time I'm throwing a 6.5" Rising Son, but it will also launch a FS Shad, FS Bluegill, 6" Huddie, and a Wake Jr. It's my LDC that gets the most use.

I don't own a LDC Production Heavy, but if I did, I would probably put a Curado 300 on that too. I have a LDC Production XH and that is teamed with a 300 TE.

I have two simbait setups for now and both have a Curado 301e on them. One is on an Okuma 7'6" MH which I mainly use to throw Buzzjets, 7" Slammers and small Rising Son on. The other is on a Dobyns 795 that I mainly use for 6" Hudds, Baby Wakes and 9" Slammers. Also the Dobyns and 301e combo can throw the 6" injected and 8" wood punker a friggin mile. If I end up picking up an LDC rod, custom or production, I will probably go with the Curado again. I also get double use out of them because they are great for musky fishing; keep in mind im not throwing double tens all day either.

On a H Custom on up, I would like a 400 over a 300 (that's me)

On a H Production, I would go 300 all the way......

I have a Curado 300E on my LDCustom H and it's friggin' awesome. 99% of the time I'm throwing a 6.5" Rising Son, but it will also launch a FS Shad, FS Bluegill, 6" Huddie, and a Wake Jr. It's my LDC that gets the most use.

I don't own a LDC Production Heavy, but if I did, I would probably put a Curado 300 on that too. I have a LDC Production XH and that is teamed with a 300 TE.

That's cool! :D You can use a 300 reel on any rod you want. ;) I did.

It's really personal preference. If you're throwing big baits all the time, like BIG baits, I would get a 300 or 400TE. Think of the TE as a Ford F-450.

The low-pro reels (Curado, Lexa, Toro, Z200, etc) are good for smaller baits with less drag. They're just not as powerfull. Think of these as the Toyota Tacoma.

BTW, just as a guess (correct me if I'm wrong Geoff) the only reason the 400D is 2" faster is because the spool is narrower. Same with the 300D, albeit they did bring the gear ratio up to 5.6. If they made a 400TE that was twice as wide as the current one, but same line capacity, it would be twice as slow.

all my reels are curado 301dsv

- less weight (especially since you will be hurling huge baits all day)

- versatile (can handle smaller baits with ease)

- with the small profile you can grip the whole reel easier

- can be modified (plenty of aftermarket upgrades available)

- holds value (from what ive seen, the resale value is up there)

- high gear ratio. you can always slow down your cadence! my thoughts to this are, when you need to horse in a fish the higher gear ratio will help. you can only speed up a lower ratio so much. try racing a someone with a higher ratio, and you will see what i mean.

It's really personal preference. If you're throwing big baits all the time, like BIG baits, I would get a 300 or 400TE. Think of the TE as a Ford F-450.

The low-pro reels (Curado, Lexa, Toro, Z200, etc) are good for smaller baits with less drag. They're just not as powerfull. Think of these as the Toyota Tacoma.

BTW, just as a guess (correct me if I'm wrong Geoff) the only reason the 400D is 2" faster is because the spool is narrower. Same with the 300D, albeit they did bring the gear ratio up to 5.6. If they made a 400TE that was twice as wide as the current one, but same line capacity, it would be twice as slow.

It's not necessarily the width of the spool, but has more to do with the diameter. More circumference for the line to lay. As well as the extra handle length taking slightly longer turns. All together it adds some extra line coming in.

All you have to do is be able to slow down, it really isn't too hard. Takes more mental focus/patience than physical.

You'd be surprised at the power of the z200/2020's. The oversized gears, mixed with the larger gear teeth gives you plenty of power and torque. But, then again, i wouldn't throw a 10" freestyle on it...

Geoff