Need new ideas for this spot

Grizzn n bassin

6 hours ago, Loganodum38 said:

Tricky spots like that, where you know there is/should be a fish. I generally have a lot of luck if I beach my bait and drag it in extremely slow. Then work it like you normally would. That silent entry seems to be key around tricky fish like that 

I’ll try that for sure thanks ! I’ll probably have to use a weedless hudd or keitech for that. 

11 hours ago, Grizzn n bassin said:

Well that would normally be the case but to the best of knowledge this place is not fished. It’s an old reservoir behind an horse farm ,apple orchard and a cattle farm . My area most of the people fish for catfish and trout and strippers in the river. I’m going to try it from my Jon boat and once I get a new fish finder we’ll know for sure !

I was going to ask if you were seeing baitfish.  Fish finder we definitely help answer that. 

I'd fish it at night.  Biggest wake bait you can find (say a 12" Slammer or a Slammer Eel or a Possum) and work it super slow, especially around the periphery of the tower.  If you're in your yak, adjust your angle so the bait is literally scraping along the tower wall, mimicking a rat that fell in and is trying to find a way to climb out.

6 hours ago, FishDr said:

I'd fish it at night.  Biggest wake bait you can find (say a 12" Slammer or a Slammer Eel or a Possum) and work it super slow, especially around the periphery of the tower.  If you're in your yak, adjust your angle so the bait is literally scraping along the tower wall, mimicking a rat that fell in and is trying to find a way to climb out.

I will try that for sure thanks , I haven’t been able to get out there at night for that but i will. Need to buy a big slammer only have 9 inches and big rat baits.

If they're not there then don't waste your time. Some of the best looking spots won't hold fish because there isn't bait, no creek channel running near it, etc. Throw a huge 10"-12" glide around there and if you don't pull anything, move on! 

I personally have significantly less swimbait fish on round pilings, they don't have as much of an ambush area as square pilings or large rocks, or trees. 

Edited by Csweitzer

22 hours ago, Csweitzer said:

If they're not there then don't waste your time. Some of the best looking spots won't hold fish because there isn't bait, no creek channel running near it, etc. Throw a huge 10"-12" glide around there and if you don't pull anything, move on! 

I personally have significantly less swimbait fish on round pilings, they don't have as much of an ambush area as square pilings or large rocks, or trees. 

I have a few big glides to do that with m and I’ll definitely try that . Have to wait for the water to clear up a bit been raining a lot lately . It just looks so damn good ! 

Just because it looks good doesn't mean anything. There could be some underwater structure nearby that they relate to better. I've free dived around some fallen trees and docks I thought were bass magnets for sure and not seen the first fish on them and then 50 feet down the shoreline saw a 4ft stick laying on the bottom with three bass on it. They don't make sense sometimes

11 hours ago, Wes Peart said:

Just because it looks good doesn't mean anything. There could be some underwater structure nearby that they relate to better. I've free dived around some fallen trees and docks I thought were bass magnets for sure and not seen the first fish on them and then 50 feet down the shoreline saw a 4ft stick laying on the bottom with three bass on it. They don't make sense sometimes

I actually was fishing the other day there and had bass crush my deps. I casted out in front the pump house. I’m starting thinking there’s some sort of structure in front of the pump house. Or get some diving gear !

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 11:43 AM, Grizzn n bassin said:

I actually was fishing the other day there and had bass crush my deps. I casted out in front the pump house. I’m starting thinking there’s some sort of structure in front of the pump house. Or get some diving gear !

Dude being willing to dive spots will tell you more in 30 seconds than in years of fishing above the surface. Bass will usually hang around unless you get really close if you're sneaky. Ever wonder about that dock you throw at? That point? Take a roll over the side and see if you're wasting your time or not. 

There's a dock and a set back boathouse on a crystal clear river where I grew up that is probably a hundred yards from the main boat ramp. Everyone makes a couple casts at it and moves on. I dove it once and there was 10+ another that was maybe 7-8 and a couple other fatties just chilling under it. And they've all seen a million lures.