Gen 2 Mauler

porkmeatballs

I know that this is old news for those of you on Instagram, but I thought I'd post on here for those of you who aren't. I had a few issues with the original Mauler model, so I decided to change a few things and touch it up. I wound up cleaning/straightening details, carving scales above the lateral line, and adjusting the angle for the lip. Overall, I feel safe to say that the Gen 2 looks and performs much better than the original. Here are a few of the recent paint schemes that I came up with. Any suggestions on what pattern I should paint next?

Mauler Shad.JPG

Mauler smallie.JPG

Let's see what dope perch pattern you can come up with.

And how bout trying a brookie?  There's another thread going right now where guys are talking about how uncommon brook trout-colored swimbaits are.

Looks awesome man, keep it up.

50 minutes ago, CaliBassin said:

Those look insanely good! Definitely a winner if you ask me. Any swim vids?!

Thanks! There is currently only a swim vid of the original model on our Instagram @lilpiggyswimbaits and on youtube. I think that the major differences between the two models is that the Gen 2 kicks harder and has a more stable swim.

49 minutes ago, 168 Rookie said:

Let's see what dope perch pattern you can come up with.

And how bout trying a brookie?  There's another thread going right now where guys are talking about how uncommon brook trout-colored swimbaits are.

Looks awesome man, keep it up.

I'm definitely considering painting up a perch pattern in the future. I've never tried doing one, so it should be a fun challenge! I was also looking at brook trout pics yesterday and love the colors on those fish! I'm actually finishing up a different trout pattern right now and will try to post it on here once it's done

• 4 months later...

Boy, it's been a while since I posted updates for this thread! Recently I've had a lot of free time to experiment with different color schemes on the Mauler. I was even able to try my hand at painting some of the color suggestions that were thrown out on this thread and they turned out decently. Any other paint ideas are appreciated! Enjoy and stay safe out there!

P1011415.JPG

P1011439-01.jpeg

P1011446-01.jpeg

Got my first mauler fish this past Sunday and also my first swimbait fish of 2020, on a sunny but cool RI day. Water temp was 40-41 after a big rain storm the day before. 

i swapped out the hooks & rings for heavier stuff and added storm suspend strips (wrapped with shrink tubing) to help the bait get down and suspend. Basically made it into a big jointed jerkbait, cranked it down, would twitch it , pause, crank, pause etc. 

finally got bite along some fresh weed edges growing in, only swimbait bite of the day, not a big one but feels good to be out fishing. Also had about a dozen pickerel chase it to the boat. 

90A160EE-3A84-4422-BA65-E95959EDD2CC.jpeg

469925D6-BF9B-45AE-9CC5-57F93FE25C86.jpeg

8 hours ago, porkmeatballs said:

I'm glad you like it Chris! Currently working on making a few more. I also forgot to mention that I moved the front hook hanger forward in order to accommodate a larger hook and switched to a slightly thicker lip.

nice man, ill give you and your brother a lot of credit, you guys are always taking your baits further and further into refinement. Saw the new version on IG today, I dig it. 

Did the heavier lip and hooks change the action much?