4 piece baby bass

TootsMalone

@TootsMalone looks awesome man, what’s the plan for the bait? 

molding it obviously? 

but wake lipped version (yes please!), sinking, wake and crank etc? 

seems like you’d have a lot of options with the resin and being able to fine tune it, cut lip slots, add weights etc. 

2 hours ago, chefchris said:

@TootsMalone looks awesome man, what’s the plan for the bait? 

molding it obviously? 

but wake lipped version (yes please!), sinking, wake and crank etc? 

seems like you’d have a lot of options with the resin and being able to fine tune it, cut lip slots, add weights etc. 

The original plan is to mold and cast a slow sink lipless resin swimbait. I’d like to play with fast sink, floating and even lipped versions down the road. I’ve never built a lipped bait but they do appear to be very popular. 

i want to play with weight placement on this one and balance the first 2 pieces like a single joint glide and see how that swims with 2 additional pieces. Casting copies really makes testing different weight placement options easier. And i’ll obviously share everything i learn on here. 

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress has been made with this one. Hinges are glued in and moving nicely. Going to fill the sides of the dowels with wood putty and smooth everything before testing and molding. 

BADADC1B-8638-483F-9AA3-F0C899EFDA55.jpeg

12DE87AA-49F6-4E94-A668-9964D45334E4.jpeg

2 hours ago, JCswimbaits said:

Love the attention to detail, really clean carving. What are specs on the bait?

Thanks man! Still needs a bit of sanding but it is turning out far better than i had hoped. So far it's 7 1/2" long nose to tail. No idea what the weight will end up being since it is going to be cast out of resin eventually. I'm hoping for under 5oz at a slow sink rate. 

• 4 months later...

Haven’t posted any updates on this bait since the swap thread. Made one of these in a bass pattern for the swap and turned out far better than i could have imagined. Came out to be about 2.5oz and sinks nice and slow in these warm florida waters. 
A friend in Charleston requested a Blueback herring for some of the georgia lakes he likes to fish for big spots. So out came my first attempt at a blueback herring. Plan on finishing about 10 more of these, 2-3 in perch, 2-3 in Bb herring and the rest im not sure of yet. Any suggestions? 

85118AC4-EEB4-4E2C-9E74-CAB2F0B2DE5D.jpeg

B5A03B22-94DA-4E26-A55D-08DFB3DABE71.jpeg

8542D866-8279-4099-B958-70A346EB592F.jpeg