What line for my 908 and CQ400 for 8inch hud - Hinkle trout

freelancer27

Hi guys,

I replaced my Dobyns 867 with a Dobyns 908. Wasnt really planned but here we ware.

I am running a CQ401 on it and I am wondering what line to put onto the reel to find the best balance for the different lures I am planning to throw with the combo.

Low end would be a 8 inch Hud. Middle would be a Deps 250 and the top end would be a Hinkle trout.

Options that I am thinking of:

Straight fluro (25/30 pound):

* Tatus
+ Subtle
+ Great longevity of the line
+ / - Has a bit more stretch which should help with treble baits  but not as favorable for jig hook baits

* Shooter
+ Stiffer and therefore a bit more sensitive
- stiffer and probable harder to manager

80 pound braid to leader fluro/ mono
* 25/30 # maxima ultra green

What would you recommend me and why?

Thanks a lot guys!

I personally don't throw giant baits like the hinkle. But i know you will get a ton of different responses to this question. Do what you prefer. I know some guys like 20lb abrazx flouro for hinkle. Some guys run 30lb big game. Or 25-30lb P-Line CXX. Good luck. 

I feel like all those options are for different setups and scenarios. I use braid to leader on my Hudd/bottom dragging softbait rod that I use to creep em deep, for sensitivity only. I dont like the way heavy braid casts even with a good leader knot, just not a fan but I use it for this purpose. My go to and "do all" line is 20lb big game or Ultragreen. I will say for subsurface baits 17, 20, 25 lb (depending on bait) flouro would be optimal, but takes this setup out for topwater/floaters. I will say if you choose braid to leader, learn to tie the GT knot, strongest knot out there and will save surrounding kids ears from your cussing when you break off your fancy FG knot haha. Hard to go wrong with Maxima Ultragreen for mono, Trilene Big Game is good too and I personally  use it a lot, my braid of choice is Suffix 832 65 or 80lb, Seaguar AbrazX is killer flouro, I also have used the cheaper red label Seaguar and honestly like that better but it may not be as abrasion resistant. Hope this helps, tight lines... of whichever material you choose!

Edited by Bmurr7

Go 25Lb Izor XXX and don't look back.  For the big baits like the hinkle its good to have stretch and forgiveness.  If I was going to fish the hinkle on braid, I would go 100#.  For 8" Hudds I really like 20l Izor XXX but can get by on 25.  Honestly for the 908 Id pick up a few bigger soft baits like the 10" Hudd

Exactly what Nufo said. 25 or 30 izorline XXX. I Use 20 for everything else except hudds I like braid for sensitivity. Althought I will say you can fish the 8” hudd on the 908 Althought it’s definitely overkill. The 807 is widely acclaimed as the perfect 8” hudd rod. If your fishing a 908 id buy a baitsmith mag or You can find 10” hudds on sale on TW. 

• 3 weeks later...

For the dedicated big glides (Mother, Hinkle, Beast, etc) 30# Sunline shooter is great. If you’re going to mix in other baits (Hudd, etc) but still want to chuck big glides then drop down to 25# and if want the least stretch possible switch to Sunline Structure FC. Its even lower stretch than Shooter. 

If you want a mono that’s as low of stretch as possible get 25# Sunline Armilo. It has roughly the same stretch as Shooter.  It will handle better than any of the Fluorocarbon options and the smoke color looks cooler on reel too.

youll get lots of recommendations but those are the lowest stretch I’ve found thru lots of searching and testing. 

Edited by Cranky

I’d have to disagree with some guys, respectfully. When you’re talking 250 to Mother size baits, I’d stick to the stretchiest mono you can find! When you have that one in a thousand cast backlashes....you’ll be thankful. I backlashed an albino mom about 15’ out on an overhand full-send and anything but 30# big game would have had me digging out the binoculars to see how far she would have flown. If you have to double the setup for medium as well as big huge baits, I’d prob play it safe unless you wanna be fishing one lake and sending your Hinkle or Mother to a different one lol

I get the general Swimbait convention regarding line stretch and to be fair that’s going to be 99% of the opinions out there BUT...

People have been casting much much heavier muskie and/or saltwater lures on superlines with zero stretch for several decades and no one in those communities talks about breaking off baits like bass fishermen. There are lots of people out there worldwide that do things differently than the Swimbait community.

Even the absolute lowest stretch mono/fluoro ever made has was more stretch than super line. We are still talking over 6% stretch in even the lowest stretch options out there. 

That said, do I recommend casting a mother on no stretch line, NO! Hahaha 

Edited by Cranky