Warm “winter” day

Grizzn n bassin

Been looking at some threads but can’t find anything on it. I’m from ny and I’m down in North Carolina fishing we’ve had some warm  days pretty much all week with air temps 55 -66 very sunny.   The water is cold I’d say like 40-45 maybe.  I’m used to slow rolling a hudd all winter but with these temps , got me wondering if I should looking shallow ?  I tried throwing a rat and a 250 a little bit yesterday. Water is about 1 foot a viz. 

I think more about atmospheric pressure when thinking about fishing a day where the weather has chanced a lot... High or low pressure systems are usually involved in the weather change. 

If it's from a high pressure system, the bass will be deep and you can put away the rat. If atmospheric pressure is dropping, I find fishing is better on those odd days, especially up shallow like you asked.

Edited by hydrocephalic

Treat like early pre spawn; steep banks near main lake, muddy water warms faster, west bank that’s protected from wind, any partially submerged structure where the above water part is in sunlight (even like a twig), etc. 

edit: orig wrote east bank

Edited by dqb

3 hours ago, hydrocephalic said:

I think more about atmospheric pressure when thinking about fishing a day where the weather has chanced a lot... High or low pressure systems are usually involved in the weather change. 

If it's from a high pressure system, the bass will be deep and you can put away the rat. If atmospheric pressure is dropping, I find fishing is better on those odd days, especially up shallow like you asked.

Thanks i think it was high and it’s stayed right around 30 the whole time been steady. I’ll take a look later when I get home and study it alittle more 

2 hours ago, dqb said:

Treat like early pre spawn; steep banks near main lake, muddy water warms faster, west bank that’s protected from wind, any partially submerged structure where the above water part is in sunlight (even like a twig), etc. 

edit: orig wrote east bank

I’ve been fishing these pipes and fish attrractors they have scarred around the lake also some wind blown submerged trees took the temp today and it was 50 so I switched Swimming everything alittle faster 

Once the water has reached the 40s you can be pretty sure the lake has turned-over and there will not be a big difference in temps from deep to shallow.  The biggest change to this is if you have warm, SUNNY, and CALM conditions the shallows will get a lot warmer.  That gets the little invertebrates moving around and the baitfish will move up to feed on them.  The bass are aware of this and will move up to feed on the baitfish.  I've had some great shallow water fishing in extremely cold water but you really need strong sunshine and calm (at least in the fishing area) in order for the water to become significantly warmer than the surroundings.  This is much more an afternoon pattern than morning.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, waynem said:

Once the water has reached the 40s you can be pretty sure the lake has turned-over and there will not be a big difference in temps from deep to shallow.  The biggest change to this is if you have warm, SUNNY, and CALM conditions the shallows will get a lot warmer.  That gets the little invertebrates moving around and the baitfish will move up to feed on them.  The bass are aware of this and will move up to feed on the baitfish.  I've had some great shallow water fishing in extremely cold water but you really need strong sunshine and calm (at least in the fishing area) in order for the water to become significantly warmer than the surroundings.  This is much more an afternoon pattern than morning.  Good luck.

Thanks yup the sunshine has been very strong and little to no wind ! The lake has been like glass . I’ll try that Tomorrow if the conditions are like that . The temps in the lake I fished today were 50. I’ll going alittle later and see what happens!