OK, what's the deal with rats?

flaswimbaiter

I don't own one nor have I ever thrown one, but I see other members going ape chit trying to get a hold of them. I also see Wayne, Marble, Dsouth, etc., just slaying them on these types of baits.

So what makes them so special, why do some cost more that others, and what makes those more expensive ones better?

Any other advice, opinions or input, in addition to my questions, would be greatly appreciated.

I don't own one nor have I ever thrown one, but I see other members going ape chit trying to get a hold of them. I also see Wayne, Marble, Dsouth, etc., just slaying them on these types of baits.

So what makes them so special, why do some cost more that others, and what makes those more expensive ones bette

Any other advice, opinions or input, in addition to my questions, would be greatly appreciated.

Dave we have to find you one...

Imo opinion rats slay because there different,the have a what I like to call a " what the fu$# factor"

Combined with what Matt peters calls " rate of stall" you can work them in a prime piece of real estate for a long time.I rarely use rats to search for fish I use them where I knw fish are allready and I twitch em into biting..I can't speak for other guys but I will twitch and walk these style of baits and make as much subtle commotion as I can,imagine a injured rodent falling of a tree..that's the look I try to create

My personal "Not Allowed" rats in order are

Nezumma

Pb rat

Ms mini slammer

Nezumma has a cool action but I prefer it for durability

The pb hands down best action I've seen in a rat and loud as all hell,buuuutt its about as durable as saltine cracker

Mini slammer not bad just not consistent

I'm really looking forward to what Wayne ,Dan and Caesar have to say on rats

I didnt like the Nez Rat for the exact reason you like the PB.

I could get exactly ZERO action out of the Nez. Tried twitching, waking, deadsticking....just wasn't for me.

I'm right there with you on how to fish the baits though I rarely fish them subtely.

My normal rat retrieve goes something like this: I like to start "hard" when the bait initially hits the water, akin to the panic a squirrel would have when falling out of the tree and realizing his ass is gonna get chewed. Quick twitches and short bursts of energy. As the cast gets to the middle, I imagine that little fool is getting tired of swimming and starting to fatigue. I'll slow down the cranks and the twitches become less and less violent. If I see a fish and the cast is coming to an end, I will almost deadstick with just enough movement to get the tail to send out some vibrations.

This is in a perfect world. Most of my hits come within the first 15 seconds of the bait being in the water. Most times you'll see me cast, twitch, twitch, twitch, sit, twitch and then crank the bait down and get it back to the boat. They either eat it when it first hits the water or the rat taking off towards the boat means an easy meal is getting away and they attack it.

I actually believe being a hunter helps with fishing these baits. All the time I spend in the woods gives me a ton of experience seeing how squirrels act when they are stressed. I've seen them fall from trees, get chased by owls and hawks and generally exist at the bottom of the food chain in the woods. I try to impart the same emotion and the feeling of that squirrel fleeing for its life. There is nothing subtle about an animal that knows it's about to die.

Make sure you are fishing a bait with a floating tail. I think it helps keep the back end of the bait up and definitely adds to the action of it.

I may come up with more random thoughts on this. I'll add them if I do.

The rats have the "kill it before it reproduces" factor(that's the way my dad has always explained to me why bass eat all the crazy different lures & colors offered :lol: ).

I have very little rat experience, but I personally think a bass will eat anything it thinks it can get in it's mouth that won't cause it to put out any more added effort than it has to. They are predators and are very good at what they do. Just can't wait to get a true squirrel bait one day, I know someone has to be working on that :D

Sorry Primus. I couldnt help it....one of my favorite songs that i rediscovered recently...

I used to fish with these dudes when I was a kid and they were just a local band. Super cool dudes and great fishermen.

I have seen bass in the Ca Delta chomp down on red-winged blackbirds. I have also seen them in my local pond go to town on a string of ducklings swimming behind their mothers. So I think rats, snakes, frogs, and anything else that is unfortunate enough to find its way on or in the water is fair game for the bass to try to eat.

Rat baits are something that the bass have never seen in most bodies of water I fish. So as soon as the bait hits the water, they rush over to see what is going on. Then I work it the same way as Wayne described. Fun as hell and very productive.

-Ali

That is an awesome video!

I agree, replayed it several times.

Sorry Primus. I couldnt help it....one of my favorite songs that i rediscovered recently...

Awesome song, but Wynona's Big Brown Beaver & this song are my favorite Primus songs :mrgreen: Love Les Claypool's bass tshirt in this video :lol:

Looks like I might have to give one a try, the only problem is deciding on which size, color and brand. :?: Floirda bass seem to love noisy baits, which one makes the most noise?

I am a big Primus fan, used to play bass myself and thought he was a god. :lol:

My personal fav.

call last chance tackle they have a rat for $40 bucks super loud clack and great swim action. it has been producing like crazy for me. Like Speed said you usually get a strike with in 15-30 seconds after the bait hits the water let the rings vanish then give it a twitch then slow retrieve