Any 24hr lakes in San Diego?

Nick S.

I’m working a night shift on a job in San Diego this week. I’ll be getting off around 1am. Anyone know of any spots that are legal to fish 24hr. Any info would be much appreciated!

For saltwater there’s tons of 24hr access. I’d recommend grabbing some Big Hammer Swimbaits and having a crack at some Spotted Bay bass. It’s a lot of fun with good amounts of bites. 

For freshwater unfortunately only the San Diego river legally speaking, but the transients there take it upon themselves to not allow you to fish there (can get pretty sketchy). 

if you’re game to do some “ninja” fishing, then pretty much any freshwater pond/lake is game. Some with better access than others, just make sure to be discreet and not get caught. 

2 hours ago, bassturds said:

Why is it illegal to fish at night in that area?? 

Socal has mostly reservoirs for drinking water so they have everything closed off so they can inspect boats for quagga mussels when you come in. No one is working there at night so they can't inspect or charge you. Don't know why they don't let you shore fish, I only know 2 lakes in the LA area that let you shore fish at night. 

10 hours ago, Nick S. said:

I’m working a night shift on a job in San Diego this week. I’ll be getting off around 1am. Anyone know of any spots that are legal to fish 24hr. Any info would be much appreciated!

Like Brian said, there arent any lake that you can legally fish at night. During the summer they will have a few place that will have night tourney and Santee Lakes will open at night once in a while till about 11. 

12 minutes ago, S33z3r said:

Socal has mostly reservoirs for drinking water so they have everything closed off so they can inspect boats for quagga mussels when you come in. No one is working there at night so they can't inspect or charge you. Don't know why they don't let you shore fish, I only know 2 lakes in the LA area that let you shore fish at night. 

Only two of the San Diego lake check for Quagga (Lake Cuyamaca and Lake Morena). All of the inner city lakes dont. All close their gates around sunset. Guessing it more of a liability to the city with out having someone around. Kind of funny because they have Jogger/Bike Riders go around the lake all hours of the night. 

14 minutes ago, kahai808 said:

Like Brian said, there arent any lake that you can legally fish at night. During the summer they will have a few place that will have night tourney and Santee Lakes will open at night once in a while till about 11. 

Only two of the San Diego lake check for Quagga (Lake Cuyamaca and Lake Morena). All of the inner city lakes dont. All close their gates around sunset. Guessing it more of a liability to the city with out having someone around. Kind of funny because they have Jogger/Bike Riders go around the lake all hours of the night. 

Huh yeah it's weird. What I said is how it was explained to me by an inspector at the lake. It's such a bummer you can hit clear lake at 3am if you want but you can only go out at night around here during a few events in summer. 

That sucks. Here in MA we can’t fish a lot of Drink water reservoirs. Some are open to shore fishing only. Only one allows boats. Only one allows night fishing with a permit. But we have tons and tons of other ponds and lakes. I have over 500 places to fish within an hour. Everyone allows night fishing 

45 minutes ago, bassturds said:

That sucks. Here in MA we can’t fish a lot of Drink water reservoirs. Some are open to shore fishing only. Only one allows boats. Only one allows night fishing with a permit. But we have tons and tons of other ponds and lakes. I have over 500 places to fish within an hour. Everyone allows night fishing 

I really took it for granted just how many bodies of water there were until I moved. And yea being able to fish most of them at night is awesome. Man I'd kill to get a boat out on Wachusett though haha. Maybe one day they'll open it up on a limited basis like the Q. 

18 minutes ago, NEbucketmouth19 said:

I really took it for granted just how many bodies of water there were until I moved. And yea being able to fish most of them at night is awesome. Man I'd kill to get a boat out on Wachusett though haha. Maybe one day they'll open it up on a limited basis like the Q. 

Right Me2 dude. The chu on a boat would bring huge bags. With the way the world is I doubt it will happen! But we are lucky to have the amazing smallie fishery at the Q. Got a 6.9 smallie on a whopper plopper there a few years ago.