Question about weight

a_mum

Just curious , those of you who are making resin baits are you pouring lead for weight like you would for wood or are you doing a resin x micro balloon mixture to get sink/ float rate. Have seen mixed things on the web 

I have experimented with using pure resin on the bottom portion and MB mixture for the top but I get a more stable bait using all MB and drilling holes for lead. I am probably just stubborn though lol

I have read that some people use tungsten powder in the bottom portion but I haven’t tried anything like that. 

I drill and pour all my ballast. Tried the solid resin method @Wykyd B8 mentions with the exact same results. Some people use bb’s in the casting to get the weight in there without drilling. Personally i like being able to put the weight exactly where it is needed. Rather than hoping the bb’s fall in the right location within the mold. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve tried doing it without lead in so many times and was never happy with any mixture .... get a lead pot and put it on the lowest setting that it will still pour or else it will kind of melt/warp the resin... it’s not the end of the world but it could be prevented putting it on that low setting which is 3 on my lead pot....

another good way it to get lead bbs and put them in the bottom of the mold before you pour the resin but I only do that with crank downs really... you’ll want to pour the lead for glides and swimmers to get it accurate everytime