Which braid for Softbaits??

MattGbaz

I like fishing braid to leader connection for softbaits and was wondering what heavy braid you guys are using. Ive used j braid and power pro in generally 65lb and 80lb. Usuallty fishing 65lb to 20 or 25lb big game. In your opinion what braid is the best for throwing swim baits to give you the best knots, casting distance, less snap offs, etc. 

I fish 50lb on all my set ups. It’s more than enough for surfcasting in the rocks for 40lb stripers it’s plenty of lmb imho.

i only fish two kinds. Regular power pro and power pro super slick. 

some reels seem to work better with the super slick vs regular and vice versa.

those are the two I trust and haven’t had a reason to try anything else (when I had tried other braids. I’ve gone back to power pro) 

My personal opinion I wouldn’t run braid to leader. That is just asking for trouble and lost baits. I would stick with a good Fluorocarbon or Copoly but if you do go the braid route I would look into Sunline FX2 60-80lbs with a 25lbs Sunline FC100 shock leader. 

1.Alot of great braid out there so it is tough to get a big upside using one brand over another. The number of braids used is prob the best indicator of quality tho. Fused stuff has come a long way but I don't trust it having have had several loud snap offs when it first came out.

2. Braid to leader connection works. They call it a shock leader too. The key tho is you want a flexible rod -a fiberglass blend or  mod action is best. Otherwise you can overpower the braid getting long line releases. Braid is super strong stuff. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

I've been running 65lb power pro to a 25lb leader. No issue and no breakoffs or lost baits. Definitely head the advice to compensate a little with the rod though. I'm using a Muse Black HF and it's basically an oversized frog rod it's so stout. Which mean when I have that ocassionally phantom bite and set the hook into a log.... Some part of ME is usually the weakest link in the whole equation and I'm feeling it the rest of the day. 

65# power pro to a shock leader or copolymer is a great option. Connect with blood knot or alberto. Tacticalbassin has some insightful vids into the topic including how to not cast off (not using too light of braid because braid cuts braid in lighter sizes).

I’ve been using sunline asegi xplasma 60# but is a THICK line compared to other brands 60#. Love the line but will step down to 50# when I get through my current spool. Hoping it will ‘handle’ even better.

Leader choice is nuanced and should seek to achieve lightest possible line with acceptable durability within the following constraints: 
1. rod’s action

2. cover / clarity

3. bait weight and hook type/size

I’ve wasted a lot of time and money NOT fishing trying to make things perfect, so my adivce is to aire on the side of caution with heavier line and just get it 80% of the way there and go fishing! 

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2020 at 2:07 PM, waynem said:

If you are going to use a leader with braid take the time to master the FG knot.

I’ve been struggling with the fg on lighter leader like 20-25lb. When I go shark fishing and I’m fishing no lighter than 80lb the knot comes out great but on the lighter stuff it’s really messy. Any tips

16 hours ago, MattGbaz said:

I’ve been struggling with the fg on lighter leader like 20-25lb. When I go shark fishing and I’m fishing no lighter than 80lb the knot comes out great but on the lighter stuff it’s really messy. Any tips

I've been using braid to leader for a lot of stuff for at least 15 years and have gone through lots of knots.  The learning curve had its share of failures before settling on the FG knot.  I tie it in heavy 40# for saltwater and all the way down to 8 or 10 pound braid/nanofil with 5 to 8 pound leaders for dropshot/bonefish/etc.

The FG requires a lot of attention so I always do it at home rather than on the water.  I start by propping the rod at on end of the kitchen table and tying the braid to a chair on the other end of the table so I have a decent amount of tension on the braid.  Start weaving the leader being careful not to overlay that first couple of weaves.  I'll weave the leader about 6 times and then stop and use a thumbnail to make sure the braid is tightly packed.  With light leader it is really important to at this point pull both ends of the leader HARD- this is to keep the leader under the braid wraps straight.  If you don't do this with a light leader the braid will kink it up and you end up with bends in the finished knot.

One trick I've learned is near the end of the knot.  After you finish the weaving part you do a half hitch to lock the weave (pull that TIGHT).  Then you do a few more half hitches and cut the leader.  What I do here is cut the leader and leave 1/16" or so of tag end, cover the balance of the knot between your fingers and touch that tag end with the flame from a lighter for a second.  That will shorten the tag end to perhaps 1/32" and form kind of a thicker bulb at the end of the leader tag.  I've seen this done in some FG videos and the people then finish the knot with half hitches above the tag.  That leaves the 1/32" tag & bulb sticking up from the knot where it can catch on guides or the main braid.  What I do differently is carefully add a couple of half hitches below the bulb, covering the 1/32" space and pulling it more in line with the knot.  Then take the normal few half hitches above the bulb to finish the knot and cut the braid tag end.  I hit the braid tag end with a lighter to keep it from fraying and its done.  Hope that explanation is understandable and helps.  

What a lot of people don't understand is that almost all braid is 2 to 3 times the stated pound test.  For example ten pound braid usually tests around 20-30 pounds without a knot.  Most conventional knots (Palomar, uni, etc) drop the strength way down which is why they label the stuff 10#.  With the FG knot you get nearly 100% of the unknotted strength.  For some non-swimbait applications I use 10# braid with a 15 to 17# mono leader.  If I have to bust off when getting snagged its always the leader that breaks, not the braid.  Hope that helps.

• 1 year later...