Barrel Swivels use on hooks?

merkexpress

How’s it going SU? I use to be avid fly angler from Ohio and I recent moved to Lousianna and began fishing big baits with some minor success. When I tied my leaders I would include a barrel swivel at the end to allow the fish to trash about when I was fighting it. I’ve done this for 8-10lbs steelhead and even 30lbs King Salmon and never had one fail on me.  I’ve watched numerous videos discussing modification/upgrades of baits hardware. I have seen examples of guys adding 2 split rings at the hooks to allow for more movement of a pinned fish. Just curious if anyone has explored the idea of using a barrel swivel to allow for full 360 degree rotation. Might be more trouble then it’s worth, but figured it would be worth a discussion. Pics are just for fun

0451624C-418C-4AD7-9625-C6B3C3769BE8.jpeg

B96FF331-AFE2-4D46-9650-019416E6AC70.jpeg

Edited by merkexpress

Nice fish Cameron, some baits actually come with barrel swivel hook hangers already as the primary eyelet. I had 13" dockrats that had them installed, triple trouts have these, and i'm sure there are more. Just can't think of them off the top of my head. 

More baits are utilizing them in resin and soft baits now. Mattlures, triple trouts, bullshad, dockrats, plenty of others. realprey soft baits uses swivels in his bottom hook models. 

some guys use em where and when they can on hard baits (wood or resin) sometimes it’s a design issue or personal preference 

personally I’m a huge fan of swivels (the standard on line thru rigged baits for stripers) I try and incorporate them into my swimbaits when I can, usually by pinning them side to side or using the attachment screw eyes to keep em in place  

Yea, I kind of figured it would better be suited during the actual assembly of the baits. As mentioned, it would be interesting to run one before the eye of the bait. I’m sure in some cases you may lose the control of the lure itself.... or... give it another action?