Pick one: scroll saw or band saw

MaineBassin

Hey guys,

getting into making some baits. as of now i only see doing wood baits. Im on a semi limited budget but i can see the value of having a scroll or band saw vs hand carving everything. So if you had to choose one, which would you pick? The negative i see with a scroll saw is it is fairly limited to depth it can cut. so if you flip up a big bait to cut the side profile, many are limited to around 2.5 inches if i recall correctly. 

any way, thoughts? thanks in advance. 

Justin

33 minutes ago, RayRe said:

Band saw for the reason you stated. The ryobi from home depot has worked fine for me. 

yup same here, great value and ive used mine for 3 years of hard use without any issue, keep it clean and clean the inside and you'll be good 

get yourself the band saw and then go buy the 1" belt sander from harbor freight, use the super coupon if you can. you'll be able to do a lot with those two pieces of equipment. 

i removed the guard on the belt sander and there is a section of belt that doesn't have the frame piece behind it and you can really shape the baits easily. There is a musky bait builder who does all his shaping on that HF piece, does incredible work. I will say get some 220 grit belts as the 80 or 60 grit it comes with is insane. Id rather use the 220 and have it take a little longer than ruin baits with the included belt, learned that first hand. 

9 minutes ago, chefchris said:

get yourself the band saw and then go buy the 1" belt sander from harbor freight, use the super coupon if you can. you'll be able to do a lot with those two pieces of equipment. 

i removed the guard on the belt sander and there is a section of belt that doesn't have the frame piece behind it and you can really shape the baits easily. There is a musky bait builder who does all his shaping on that HF piece, does incredible work. I will say get some 220 grit belts as the 80 or 60 grit it comes with is insane. Id rather use the 220 and have it take a little longer than ruin baits with the included belt, learned that first hand. 

Definitely get a good sander I bought one for 40 bucks on offer up it a belt sander with a sanding wheel, I use the wheel more than anything to get the shape of the bait formed I hardly do any carving with that thing 

Excellent feedback guys. After watching YouTube videos it's a no brainier how much quicker a saw and sander make it. This is enough feedback to convince me. Govt stimulus is buying me some equipment. 

@kev_swmbt_20 got your wake today! Pumped to go throw this thing tomorrow. I'm determined to find a topwater bite even in the cold water. 

6 minutes ago, MaineBassin said:

Excellent feedback guys. After watching YouTube videos it's a no brainier how much quicker a saw and sander make it. This is enough feedback to convince me. Govt stimulus is buying me some equipment. 

@kev_swmbt_20 got your wake today! Pumped to go throw this thing tomorrow. I'm determined to find a topwater bite even in the cold water. 

Awesome man good luck!! Send pics!

On 4/16/2020 at 2:37 PM, chefchris said:

DJ makes some killer baits man! But definitely agree if you can avoid hand sanding, I'd say it's more tedious than carving. I still have to buy one of those sanders....

The 1" belt sander and a bandsaw and a knife will get you 90% there for sure. Skip the scroll saw.