Ryoga Shrapnel feedback wanted

chevro1et

A local shop has a used mint Shrapnel C3000HL (lefty user here) in the case. I'm seriously considering grabbing it, but never used a round reel before. I read the Tackle Tour review from 2016, and Cal had a lot of great things to say about it. Looking for some additional firsthand feedback, thanks. 

@chevro1et Hey Ian, the reel is a tank and at the same time sensitive that it can handle casting a frog. Assuming you read the article thoroughly they mentioned it was meant to fish for frogs (Targeting snake head)! But i use it to cast 2oz-14oz baits. If you'll be using it to fish smaller baits 3oz or less the break system it has will handle it, but i learned from @Good Year 71 that if you want to fish bigger baits it's worth upgrading the break system (Costs less than 10$ shipped, although certain shipments from overseas are limited right now) I can forward you info on upgrading the breaks if needed. I haven't done anything to the reel since i got it used on Ebay besides a regular servicing.  Due to it's large line capacity i just spooled mine up with 30% 100Lb braid to fill it up some then i top it off with 20lb for any bait 2oz- 12oz. I do recommend getting line about 90% maybe 95% of the way up so it winds on evenly. I have the reel paired up with my Megabass Destroyer Tenchijin for heavy baits and with the Daiwa DX for smaller baits. I love this reel and it has replaced my Calcutta 400TE, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

@chevro1et I also have one, got it this winter, had @MA Frog Manservice and threw a hawgtech/drt handle on it. 
I have the larger brakes installed in it. 
it throws 3oz baits to the hinkle trout/mother with ease. 
I have it paired up with a LDC xxh parablic rated 6-15oz but that rod throws the lighter stuff just fine, just have to adjust the drop on the bait. 
Ive only been out with it maybe 6x mainly throwing the hinkle/mother and crankdown cl8 baby possum, and the rods been great. 

definitely need to spoil it way up or the like lay tends to hour glass a little. I have mine spooled with 50lb braid. 

im looking for another righty model myself 

@El_Weruso @chefchris

Yeah, I've read that Tackle Tour review thoroughly a few times now, so I was aware of the original intent for that reel.  I always try to keep my spools as close to full as possible, usually end up with some fat cheap mono for backing, then topshot 85 - 100m of proper line.  If I do get the reel, it will be paired with my F5 Departure 806 for soft baits, but nothing bigger than a 7" Citizen or 7.5" Battles Shad.  I assume that the standard set of brakes should be adequate for baits in this range.  Thanks to both of you for the great info and endorsement of the reel.

1 hour ago, chevro1et said:

Looks like the handle itself is Hawgtech and the knobs are DRT

Thanks wasn't trying to jack your thread.... Good luck if you end up getting it let us know....

it’s a wide reel and heavy....similar to black sheep 250/300 meant for snakehead.  Centrifugal breaking and the knobs I believe are serpent bite which are nice.  Most has been covered ^.  Keep in mind that using this reel to try to work a bait will be tiring.  Also, the level wind goes back and forth when lures are casted.

• 1 month later...

Awesome reel, super sturdy and smooth. A bit large for the smaller handed folks, but I'm part Sasquatch so it fits well in my hand. Definitely don't need to upgrade the brakes, it casts like a dream right out of the box.. I even went with the smaller brake set. No problems here. Also the clicky drag is awesome! I have fished the tinyklash up to a deps 250. Has a very wide range. The engaged levelwind is also another one of my favorite features.

Edited by aesoprocks247