I CANNOT HOOK A GLIDE BAIT FISH

Eric Peterson

1 hour ago, Eric Peterson said:

Should I lean forwards bigger or smaller hooks in general? Like most 7-8 inch glides I have fit 2-1/0 pretty comfortably

I'd say 1 or 1/0 max for those baits. 

I bet you'd stick em real good with owner st36 

28 minutes ago, bigpoppabass said:

When I hear xh and a glide, I suspect there is too much power in the rod.  But whatever you are doing, it is getting bites. So I wouldn't necessarily change anything up. 

Interesting take, thanks. I have a few rods so I’ll try a lighter rod for baits that size

Yeah, I wish I had your problem. As much as I love glides the only one I've had success on is the Deps 175. Wish I could take a trip with someone who can show me how its done. I can throw em, reel..pause ..make it look amazing..no follows recently no matter what. Love hate relationship with glides. Last week I went to a private lake..threw the Phoney, 175, 30 acre...nothing..put those down and first cast in same area with a spinnerbait,  4 plus..next cast..3 plus ..lol..

So how could make these fish bite the glide? Or could I? Smaller glide? 145 size? 

Edited by SKSlide

6 hours ago, SKSlide said:

Yeah, I wish I had your problem. As much as I love glides the only one I've had success on is the Deps 175. Wish I could take a trip with someone who can show me how its done. I can throw em, reel..pause ..make it look amazing..no follows recently no matter what. Love hate relationship with glides. Last week I went to a private lake..threw the Phoney, 175, 30 acre...nothing..put those down and first cast in same area with a spinnerbait,  4 plus..next cast..3 plus ..lol..

So how could make these fish bite the glide? Or could I? Smaller glide? 145 size? 

It’s all about the angles. 

Owner xxx single hook. Only one hole in the fish, no fulcrum action and direct contact without tearing a bigger hole. No slack,  Don't stop reeling after you hit him.

Is the water you’re fishing really clear?

i can’t say for certain why the fish aren’t getting hooked because at some point a fish should hook itself. I think the stuff you’re using is probably fine but if the water is really clear, especially this time of year, the fish are very good at purposely missing the hooks. They can see them in that clear water and will bite away from the hooks.

You will miss fish with glides in general sometimes. Just the way it is, but if your water is super clear, I would try fishing it faster and see if the fish grab some points by accident when they strike.