bad fluorocarbon line

dominioncaster

I recently changed all the line on my reels and took a trip yesterday. One combo has had the line start to come apart. It was like the line was shredding. My first thought was I had a bad guide on the rod or something like that. I checked out the rod and all seems good. It still could be another issue but I am starting to think it was just the line. I can't say for sure what type I have on there as I bought a few different types and different lb test. Anyone have a similar issue happen to them? 

Maybe use a different line? It won't just be your guides, i had 20lb P line do this to me. It was coming apart in very fine threads and quite a bit of it. I tossed it, no way i'm trusting it with heavy lures. 

5 hours ago, SumoNinja said:

If other rods have the same line but only one setup is doing that it's likely that setup is the problem.....

I had several spools of different brands. I probably should of tracked it better. 

1 hour ago, bigpoppabass said:

Heat exposure? 

Possibly. My jon boat gets hot as hell in the sun. But I've never had a problem in the past. I'm starting to lean toward the rod. I'll replace the line and the guides just to be safe. 

Did you build the rod yourself? I only ask because I’ve seen a drop of epoxy get inside a ring and cause line shredding before after that small drop gets a groove worn in it. You can use a razor blade to clean the line guide inserts of any dried epoxy without damaging the insert.