Hyper Herring eating stripers

chefchris

The herring runs are loaded here in RI and MA, lots of hungry stripers cruising in 1’ of water, the main issue is there’s so much bait your baits get overlooked. 
last night was standing in 6” of water at the mouth of the river and burning the HH water version, imitating the herring as best as possible. Thing got smoked so many times, hooked and landed 4 Fish to 36” (which for NE is no big deal) probably missed/dropped a dozen more, due to having freshwater hooks still on the bait, but when they did hit it right they stayed pinned. 
will be back tonight and every night til the bite dies off, usually after the new moon or full moon in June 

daiwa sw 203, Phenix M1 1-5 rod, 50lb pp, 30lb mono leader for the set up 

0EE6D245-FE47-4AA8-965E-8D6930BCB487.jpeg

F2F0A33C-C789-4339-951C-C2D28A27976F.jpeg

07326444-EA17-4C13-8551-A11C5641C5B4.jpeg

On 5/20/2020 at 3:01 PM, SDBayBassMan said:

Nice! Haven’t seen too many guys chucking the hyper herring recently.  Good to see it’s still in someone’s lineup!  Nice going! 

Thanks man, been trying to get that bait for a few years now for this exact spot and spring herring run fed bass ponds, hopefully can stick a solid LMB on it soon too. 

14 hours ago, Noreaster603 said:

DUDE that looks and sounds like a great night. Does it seem like the striper run is going to be stronger than last year? Great pics to btw.

Not sure man, this spot is always good thru the June New Moon, as long as the bay stays cool the herring will keep coming up the river and into this run, should be epic this weekend with the May New Moon, bites been odd though, i get like 4-6 fish a night within 30 minutes then nothing, fish are charged up though! 

This spots sick cause its a sand/gravel flat, so you can use light gear/drag and actually get to play the fish, plus they crush topwater and wakes here as youre mostly fishing in 4' or less

7 hours ago, chefchris said:

Not sure man, this spot is always good thru the June New Moon, as long as the bay stays cool the herring will keep coming up the river and into this run, should be epic this weekend with the May New Moon, bites been odd though, i get like 4-6 fish a night within 30 minutes then nothing, fish are charged up though! 

This spots sick cause its a sand/gravel flat, so you can use light gear/drag and actually get to play the fish, plus they crush topwater and wakes here as youre mostly fishing in 4' or less

Hell ya man that is awesome. Hope to see some more pics from your trip this weekend. I will live vicariously through you haha. Heading to Block Island in June.

I would recommend going with braid all the way to your bait.  I throw mono with a braid leader anymore because I got tired of losing baits when they gator roll and slice mono/fluoro off with their sharp opercular groove. I have not lost a bait yet after making the switch and catch as many as I ever did with "transparent" leader. I've even landed fish lassoed around their head (through the groove) that weren't even hooked.