How many birds have you caught on wakes?

kev_swmbt_20

Random but that it was kind of a funny topic. I was throwing a floating bbz-1 in like 2007 and an osprey dropped from like a million feet up and snatched my bait up. I wasn’t looking and thought a caught a world record at first! Haha then a pelican scooped my Roman made south once that was a nightmare trying to unhook it from his floppy beak skin haha

I caught an osprey on an A.C. Plug once and it took off. I was flying it like a kite in circles for 10 minutes. Got it about 10ft away and pulled it down into the water drug him to the boat and my buddy threw a towel over it and snatched it up by the head. Hook was stuck in the leg we unhooked and released it.

Scary as hell lookin at those talons hoping to not get grabbed by them.

Ive had giant bald eagles try it but Im pretty aware now and burn it away from them.

39 minutes ago, StriperAddict said:

I caught an osprey on an A.C. Plug once and it took off. I was flying it like a kite in circles for 10 minutes. Got it about 10ft away and pulled it down into the water drug him to the boat and my buddy threw a towel over it and snatched it up by the head. Hook was stuck in the leg we unhooked and released it.

Scary as hell lookin at those talons hoping to not get grabbed by them.

Ive had giant bald eagles try it but Im pretty aware now and burn it away from them.

Best thing to do with any bird is cover their head with a towel. It calms them down and makes takin out hooks or unwrapping line alot safe for both parties. 

28 minutes ago, Tealsprig said:

Best thing to do with any bird is cover their head with a towel. It calms them down and makes takin out hooks or unwrapping line alot safe for both parties. 

Yeah thats what we did. After 10 mins on the line it wasnt happy though.

Hahaha

There is a Hawk at a pond that consistently try to steal my glide baits that I'm fishing just below the surface.

It's almost like a game of where I can fish my baits without having to worry about watching a hawk too.

Hoping to be able to get it on a go pro one of these days.

4 minutes ago, CaliBassin said:

Does hooking a seagull on a baitsmith count? Lol

Speaking of seagulls. I once hit one with a 8oz lead and bunker head throwing bait in the surf. It sounds like a shotgun went off. Split the bird in half. Bird pieces floated for all to see. Half the beach was laughing, the other half was glaring at me as if I had done it on purpose. 

1 hour ago, dominioncaster said:

Speaking of seagulls. I once hit one with a 8oz lead and bunker head throwing bait in the surf. It sounds like a shotgun went off. Split the bird in half. Bird pieces floated for all to see. Half the beach was laughing, the other half was glaring at me as if I had done it on purpose. 

When I hooked the osprey, there happened to be a bunch of animal rights activists behind me and took a bunch of pictures screaming at me as I was attempting to cover its face and take the hooks out as if I did it on purpose 

I've had a few bird encounters, but luckily only one of them required serious intervention and the other one was just plain odd.

The Florida Keys Pelican: The family and I were down in the Keys for Xmas vacation and we were joined by my brother, sister and her daughter, and my mother.  I decided that it would be good to get some solo time away from the other 8 people so I hi the dawn patrol and was throwing the Lunker Punker between where the current ripped past a marina entrance and the long highway causeway/bridge that runs along all the keys.  I'd caught and released one bluefish and was casting again when a trio of brown pelicans came streaking in out of nowhere and one of them nailed the Punker dead to rights.  I cranked him in, thinking about the traffic on the highway slowing to watch me "abuse" this poor bird and the bird started expressing its displeasure.  Holy cow those things are big up close, and there's a mighty sharp and wicked looking hook on the end of their bill!  I managed to tuck the bird and its flailing wings under one arm and got the hook out out of that leathery bill pouch.  As I went to release it, the bird flapped wildly and got hooked up again, this time on a wing.  I was sure Florida PWC wardens were going to roll up any moment and cite me, but they didn't and I managed to get the hook out.  I released the bird, it flew and landed in the water about 20' away and stopped and glared at me.  I made a couple of false casts in its direction and it took off...I went back to fishing, but it's hard to concentrate when your head is swiveling looking for the next attack pelican!

Slammer vs. Owl:  Yes, you read that right, Slammer vs. a great horned owl.  I was fishing a local late, rather late in the fall, and was throwing the MS Slammer in hopes of a late season largemouth or a mid-season walleye.  I heard a splash near shore to my right and fired off a long cast angled slightly out from shore - the big 'eyes often trap baitfish against the shoreline and I've caught a number of fish that way.  I started waking the Slammer back and heard a big splash, felt the line jerk as it should when something has just monstered the bait, and promptly set the hook.  All was well for about a second as the fish took off...except that the line started to sail up and away from the water, instead of down and into the water!  By the time my brain had registered that the line was going up, I caught a glimpse of a large owl, a great horned owl, to my right that appeared connected to my line.  As I realized that an owl had my bait, it dropped it, and my trusty 9" Slammer clattered onto the rocks.  I am so glad the owl didn't get hooked - the thought of trying to unhook an angry owl at night, with it's sharp beak and wicked talons flailing around does not sound like my idea of fun!  I should point out that about 3 years before, I was fishing the same lake with a friend and he had an owl, perhaps the same one, swoop and attach his Whopper Plopper.

I had a cormorant hit my Bull Shad 2-3 feet under water, thought I had a real nice fish for a second until its wing popped out of the water, he thrashed for a second and got away so I didn’t have to deal with unhooking it.

The smaller birds near me all love my redhead baby wake, I throw the perch colored all the time and the birds barely care, tie on the redhead and they’re everywhere!

Not a bird but......... My golden loves the water and anytime I get a bass she's the first one in trying to mouth the fish....... Was fishing and before I realize it my dog was swimming over my line, thought I still had about 15 yards left when suddenly my dogs eyes widen, it started panicking and drowning.. It acted like something had bit my dog..... And that something was my Kaesu Swimbait treble hook......I never swung but when she swam, her lower left leg swam right into the treble hooks....I FELT SO BAD.she kept yelping and crying........worst thing was it didn't go through so the barb was stuck in her!!! Any movement and she started crying!!!! Unfortunately the easiest way to get the hooks out was to push the hook through her skin and pinched the barb in to pull back!!!!!  Not something I like to experience again....but good news my Dog still loves fishing and is still the first one in the water chasing BASS!!!

I was fishing a small pond during a trout stock once and had a duck fly into my line and get its wing wrapped up. The bird went crazy way out in the middle of the pond and I had to drag it kicking and screaming all the way to shore in front of a huge crowd of trout fisherman. They were all yelling at me saying to cut the line, but I didn't want to let the poor thing go with all that line out. Unfortunately I didn't have a towel or anything with me to try calming the duck down, so once I winched it to shore I had to chase it around on foot and pounce on it. Poor thing was screaming like crazy, but I was glad the bird didn't get my hooks and it flew away fine after I untangled my line.

Had a great blue heron try to eat my slammer a month or two ago. He actually dove out of the sky into the water at it. Didn’t know they did that. I reeled super fast and avoided any entanglements but he kept hanging out in the area so I had to bail.