Inshore Swimbait Fishers

JRHorne

Folks, newb here but very glad to be here. Got sent this way via MicroSkiff.com as I posted asking folks about an inshore swimbait setup, I originally asked them about a spinning setup, but was also given some good casting recommendations.

I attempted to search here, but I wondered how many of you are using big swimbaits/glides for inshore fishing? I generally mean more than just big paddle tails, I'm talking the big Savage Gear, Megabass, River2Sea, SPRO, Jackall, etc. If so, what's your setup?

I sent an Admin on here a message about considering having a dedicated saltwater section. I bet there'd be a lot of interest!

Thanks folks, looking forward to some good reading and then some good fishing!

I used to use this TMCX76MHB rod from Shimano. They make Inshore products. I used it for 6" weedless huds and 68 huds years back but have since switched to the old crucial series 7'11". It also slings the 8" hudd very well. They make them for different regions so check the site or a tackle shop to find what suits yourself. It was paired with a 300 sized reel and 20lb. Copolymer. The rod is very versatile, I caught a butt load of fish with that setup!

Welcome to the board.

I just ordered a Okuma Komodo SS 463 since I get about a 25% discount off Okuma. Got it brand new for just over $200. Going to wait until it gets here and then decide on a rod. I actually handled a Medium Heavy St Croix Mojo Bass rod (7'11" I believe) at Bass Pro yesterday and it seemed like a nice stick. Not big swimbait capable but it has me looking at the St. Croixs. I may just go ahead with a Dobyns. I'll check out the Shimao too, @marc626.

I've been fishing inshore more and more.  I use my regular swimbait gear abu max toro/toro beast; okuma sbx; dobyns.  Got some real prey perch coming in a pinfish pattern.  Throwing burrito taquito and a couple other swimmers too at redfish/trout.  

6 hours ago, dominioncaster said:

I fish inshore with swimbaits with decent success. My main issue is that I like a SS bait in freshwater so fishing any kind of current, which I find very important in saltwater, makes my SS baits floaters. 

That's funny you mentioned that because I hadn't even thought about the saltwater making the baits more buoyant. Wonder if any of the big manufacturers have thought of this and offer any work arounds?

Got notification that the Okuma shipped today and will be here next Tuesday. I'll probably string it with 40# PowerPro to start and use a 50# leader. I plan on hitting the inlets both this weekend and next weekend if all goes well. Maybe I should go ahead and find my rod...

1 hour ago, JRHorne said:

That's funny you mentioned that because I hadn't even thought about the saltwater making the baits more buoyant. Wonder if any of the big manufacturers have thought of this and offer any work arounds?

Got notification that the Okuma shipped today and will be here next Tuesday. I'll probably string it with 40# PowerPro to start and use a 50# leader. I plan on hitting the inlets both this weekend and next weekend if all goes well. Maybe I should go ahead and find my rod...

triple trout makes saltwater variations of their baits, as does bbz