Short Swimbait Rods

PKNNH

Just ordered the Daiwa LG Black Label 6’11 Swimbait rod. Rated fast action to around 5 ounces but with a whippy tip that’s designed for lipped swim baits and deep cranks. Already own the Black Label SG 7’ Swimbait rod and love it. It’s designed for non lipped swim baits/glides and is rated a soft action. The LG has a 1.8mm tip that tapers quickly and the SG has a 3mm tip that tapers very slowly. I’ll never buy another big Swimbait rod after owning these. They feel like your normal heavy bass rod. I love that Daiwa has designed these for specialized techniques. 

I started throwing soft baits on a 7'6" six gill brute and it works mint for me. Rated 2-4 once works great for jig hook. Seems like it would be good for treble hooks as well. I'm going to try it for some glides etc. Soon as ice melts

My current favorite is the 22 Shimano Poison Glorious 74XH-SB. So light and powerful. 

I also have the 22 Shimano Poison Glorious 65MH+-SB for smaller swimbaits to 2oz, and 22 Shimano Bantam 68XH-SB. Short big bait rod with nice tip for large treble hook baits and glides. 

I fish a lot off the kayak and these rods are money! 

• 8 months later...

Reading through this thread, I think I'm kind of curious about the Expride 166XH-SB. 

Wonder how long it would take Asian Portal to ship one out. Seems like they're only available through Japan/Asia area retailers. 

I see that JDM Tackle Heaven also has this rod and maybe it would be better getting the rod from those guys. 

Edited by 5-20

Got the Bantam 168XH-SWB from JDM Tackle Heaven this afternoon. 7 days from order to delivery.

Got a kick out of this rod. I’ve never had a 6’8 swimbait rod and did not know what to expect at all. 

Gonna start with the pros first. 

This rod has an awesome tip on it. It’s snappy and it’s a sweet casting rod. Throws baits effortlessly  

The ferrule on it is smooth and fits great.  Threw a crawler first and then tried a 1 oz walk the dog bait and got a small 2 pound bass to smash it. Also threw a 2.5 oz glide.  

Its a great rod. I still don’t have it totally dialed in but am very happy with it so far. 

The only con is that it’s somewhat tip heavier than I expected it to be. You don’t really notice it once you start fishing but when you first pick it up and start carrying it, you will notice it. The rod weighs only 6 oz. 

JDM Tackle Heaven sent it packed in a solid PVC tube. DHL shipping is the way to go with orders from Japan I think. They’ve always been consistent and reasonably quick  

271F5ED7-ED5A-4938-AFF3-1A4D0DF81B7C.jpeg

Wanted to add to my review of the Bantam 168XH. I’m starting to think this is a fantastic rod now that I’m starting to understand how you have to cast this rod. 

It’s like you really have to learn how to cast this rod. I’m throwing it with 70% of the effort I usually use with my 8’ rods and it’s snapping baits way out there just as far as my 8’ rods. It feels like that. 

Youve got to throw your bait with a little bit of an arch. It’s different from the usual arch I have with my 8’ rods. If I don’t have that arch in my cast or try to cast just a little too hard the line bunches up behind the first guide and doesn’t come off the reel perfectly. But when you cast right, it’s almost effortless in some ways  

Second fish on the rod was a little smaller than the one yesterday but it was fun on this rod and the Tranx 300 with #20 big game. 

The Tranx 300 may actually be balancing the rod out a little better than the Curado 200 hgk I tried yesterday. The extra weight must help balance it out better  

It is a really tip heavy and somewhat “heavy in the hand” feeling rod when you first pick it up but it comes alive when you fish with it.

I have always liked shorter handle rods and this one is really comfortable. 

Need to try skipping a burrito with it soon. 

Hope this helps any of you guys interested in this rod. It was a significant purchase and you never really know what you’ll get when you order a rod sight unseen. 

4415AE49-0B61-4F73-8B88-7FDD8001FEA3.jpeg

On 1/27/2023 at 9:12 PM, JRob said:

My current favorite is the 22 Shimano Poison Glorious 74XH-SB. So light and powerful. 

I also have the 22 Shimano Poison Glorious 65MH+-SB for smaller swimbaits to 2oz, and 22 Shimano Bantam 68XH-SB. Short big bait rod with nice tip for large treble hook baits and glides. 

I fish a lot off the kayak and these rods are money! 

You've got me interested in the Poison Glorious 74XH now! Curious about some of the differences between the Poison and the Bantam 168XH other than the length? Thanks. Appreciate your input!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Picked up a Major Craft Days DYC-70X. Super light, great build quality, a fast tip, but not a complete broom stick. Hard to describe. Says 3oz, but can toss baits up to 6oz confidently. Gonna be using it mostly for my soft baits, hudds, beast hook stuff. Planning on picking up the Blazon 611HB-SB and Hornet Stinger Plus HSPC-671X-BB to mess with as well.

IMG_20231019_183656.jpg

Edited by lux036

• 2 weeks later...

for all you big baiters 6oz+, the short 6'3" Wild Lures Prest WLCR-63XHPB is money. can cast up to 18oz comfortably, but is balanced with all the handle you need. ive cast up to mothers with it, and with the short tip, working baits is fun. 

Edited by Klash9