Short Swimbait Rods

PKNNH

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 8:04 PM, JRob said:

I am loving the tactical side of short range swimbait fishing.  The new 22 Shimano Expride 66XH-SB is sweet! It has been a beast of a rod for yanking fish out of cover quickly. Spent the day fishing smaller glides, Bull Shad 4X4, and 1/2 oz jigs today. Tons of fun! 

5B0B8905-2B76-4BCE-A1C4-43C9216A38C0.jpeg

AD705C98-4880-4B10-BD02-53A934931142.jpeg

6935CE9B-FEB0-4C06-BE89-D4217110E2ED.jpeg

6E2BB8BD-55F4-40D9-BCA0-C4E484E5A75C.jpeg

0FEA73EA-5AA9-4D98-9832-6A0CEEDC85F1.png

7A668396-CC59-4A23-A950-CBB3D51F113E.jpeg

How is the taper on it fairly moderate or on the faster side? This rod has my interest, I wish they had a longer version of it, maybe 6'9" or 7'0"

Edited by Bassjam2000

The rod is rated as a regular action from Shimano JP. It is short and powerful, but the blank does load up on a good fish. A semi moderate short XH? I will try and get some rod bend pics today for some reference. 

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Bassjam2000 said:

A tall order but can anyone recommend a 7’3”ish fast rod that’ll handle weedless softies up to 4oz that’s not custom and won’t cost an arm and a leg?

Ooh very tough. If you are looking for a jig hook/weedless softbait rod that short, you may have to get a custom stick. More options for a treble hook rod like a Megabass Tequila Baccarat. Only other rod comes to mind with good backbone that length is a Dobyns Extreme 746C, but 4oz on that stick will overload it unless you lob cast.

• 3 months later...
On 7/26/2022 at 12:24 PM, Cranky said:

https://www.evergreen-fishing.com/goods_list/Irsc611xxxhrSxf.html

Evergreen Giant Direwolf. Highly recommend, amazing for 0.5-6oz size bait (rated to 8oz). 

I saw your post over on TT, really makes me want this rod.  I’ve grown away from longer rods and this one seems to check the right boxes. Already have a good reel to pair with it. Hmm…..

Just picked up legit design 64xh rated to 3.5 oz. I’m a bank fisherman also and love it so far. Fished tks and citizen 6’s on it so far. Lose a little casting distance but accuracy I believe is more important for me. Plus not to worried about over hangs and bushes which is nice. I was able to pick one up from zen market for 180$ total with shipping just took 3 weeks but worth the wait 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 11:06 PM, chefchris said:

so the new megabass tequila baccarrac looks sick, 7' rated 1/2 to 4 or 5oz, the hookup tackle has some IG videos and reviews on it, the rod was designed an build to throw everything from frogs to a-rigs/swimbaits and 7' for easy travel. 

I have this ride and have been using it for over a year now and I absolutely love it! It will throw all the way up to its rating no problem I throw a lil chorizo that I add weight to and it comes in at a little over 4 ounces. This rod throws it no problem. You can go all the way down to a half ounce and it’s fairly sensitive, it truly is a versatile rod. I have a 200 tatula coastal on it usually sometimes the Z 2020. Both pair really well with it but I prefer the Tutuila because it’s lighter and feels  better with the rod because it’s a feather in your hand. Bend profile is great, no problem with treble hook baits landing fish and definitely stout enough to drive home big hooks in weedless baits. The fit and finish on the P5 series from megabass is second none as far as a production rod goes they’re on par with customs too. If I’m going out to be the bank all day this is my go to for sure. 

The 6th sense lux series has a 7’2 & 7’5 XH. I’ve got a 6th MFer series 7’4 heavy that I throw 2oz lures on 50lb braid no problem. I bank fish as well. I’ve got a 7’9 Mfer XH that throws 3-7oz no problem but that’s longer than what you’re wanting, I’d give that lux XH 7’2 a try.