Giant jerkbaits that are worth a dang

basssavage24/7

On 10/7/2020 at 12:21 PM, Kyle1387 said:

Was thinking more about this the other day. Surprised no swimbait company has made a soft-hard jerkbait. Similar to a 250 with the skin. Seems to.me a great a idea. A ultra realistic 10 in trout.darting and dying would definitely be a killer

that flag 170 is close, cast like a napkin in the wind, but some tungsten nails and heavier hardware help keep it down and cast better 

I am a jerkbait geek trying to transition to throwing big swimbaits and glides.  The LuckyCraft Pointer 158 is my go to early spring killer when the gizzard shad spawn is on.  A stone cold killer.  Needs bigger hooks and even a few suspend dots.

On 2/5/2021 at 4:34 PM, BoatSquirrel said:

I am a jerkbait geek trying to transition to throwing big swimbaits and glides.  The LuckyCraft Pointer 158 is my go to early spring killer when the gizzard shad spawn is on.  A stone cold killer.  Needs bigger hooks and even a few suspend dots.

I was waiting for someone to mention these 158’s they are absolutely killers.  IMO best on the market I’ve got tons of them!!

Edited by nrx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Hmoob said:

Holy crap that thing looks good and crazy at the same time!!!

It's got 4 treble hooks, is that even legal?? 

In Montana we have a “two hook” law dictating that we can have more than two hooks on a line. But when it comes to lures you can have as many hooks as you want on an individual lure body. Each lure is counted as an individual “hook”. In the case of an umbrella rig you can have two baits with hooks and as many teasers as you want. As the law defines a lure as strictly having a hook. But what confuses me is if the wire of a buzzbait is “rigging”, is the wire connecting a swimbait also rigging? It’s one fish shaped object consisting of many lure bodies. You could make the argument that a Balam is three lures as it’s three separate hooks, and that could cost me a record. Giant jerkbait would be fine though. Lot of folks fish four hooked Rapalas for lake trout here.

5 hours ago, Jon P said:

In Montana we have a “two hook” law dictating that we can have more than two hooks on a line. But when it comes to lures you can have as many hooks as you want on an individual lure body. Each lure is counted as an individual “hook”. In the case of an umbrella rig you can have two baits with hooks and as many teasers as you want. As the law defines a lure as strictly having a hook. But what confuses me is if the wire of a buzzbait is “rigging”, is the wire connecting a swimbait also rigging? It’s one fish shaped object consisting of many lure bodies. You could make the argument that a Balam is three lures as it’s three separate hooks, and that could cost me a record. Giant jerkbait would be fine though. Lot of folks fish four hooked Rapalas for lake trout here.

Very interesting, I always knew about the A rig, but not so much about individual hooks on a bait!!!! Good info!!!

• 1 year later...

If you are looking for something "big" more along the lines of the Kanata, the Duo Fangbait 140DR is about the same size and runs 10-12 ft deep. There's also a 6.5" version of the Yo-Zuri Mag Darter.