Mark Bowman

17 hours ago, Mark Bowman said:

Anybody else have a problem with really bad hook rash on the DRT klash9? This is my first one and I’ve fished it only once since it came out of the box but almost half the paint is gone already and we haven’t even hooked up yet. The Klash is much more aggressive in nature than most of my other glide baits so hook rash was bound to happen eventually but within the first outing I’m pretty surprised tbh. My other glide baits have no signs of wear other than some teeth marks haha anyway just curious if I got some kind of defect or if it’s a common thing.

39A665A4-20AB-4837-8B1B-7890D0A5C060.jpeg

0EB5FEA6-F7B5-4502-B35E-EC09E65F6998.jpeg

Realistic wrap !!! My pro blue k9

479F9B60-07DF-455C-8ED5-712E38E036D7.jpeg

B92A8AC1-2F9B-420E-A0BA-7153A422EFDE.jpeg

Good ol DRT hook rash. 

I forgot who I saw do this, and I have yet to try it...but someone wraps his ghosts and klashes in a clear protective film that RC car heads use to protect their body and chassis from getting all scratched up. Put on, scratch up, repeat. Looked legit

Edited by GotVillians

2 hours ago, dean_d said:

To be fair I've only used the k9 2x but still it doesn't look the the one in this post

This one looked absolutely perfect when I got it from you but after that first day fishing it it’s like this. I think drt just has some delicate finishing on a bait that’s constantly running into its own hooks. just a bad combination

4 hours ago, xxlbass said:

the lures action entices fish, so keep that in mind or risk compromising action when adding a wrap.  I had a few lures wrapped and I lost my lure and what it was intended to do.  Traded for a beautiful finish meh

Good point. that’s something to think on for sure. Maybe air brushing it is the way to go

It is difficult to get paint to adhere to a surface that has been painted with metallic (silver, gold) pigments.  The top paint doesn't bond well and it flakes off, leaving you with the  base metallic layer.  On colors like baby bass, there is a lot less use of metallic pigments so you get better adhesion of the paint layers and less flaking.  DRT isn't the only manufacturer with this problem.  Some makers are a lot better than others, but the paint patterns that have colored layers over a metallic base always seem to the worst for flaking.  Plain colors like black, bone, etc rarely show much flaking.

• 5 months later...

I use 2 ton auto clear coat on all mine it keeps the baits down a little better more of a suspend you wanna go pretty light on coating in though or it could affect the action but in my opinion it actually helps I like it to suspend a little worth checking out but I have most of mine painted aswell never had a issue

• 3 weeks later...

I myself own a Laserspex and Queen furthermore I know lots of friends that fish DRT themselves.

The laserspex looks like it has small chips of paint falling off, on the other hand the queen has such a thick paint coat that the most marks are from Pike teeth  and the hook rash is barely scratching the paint. With TK´s and K9`s it depends on the color you get. The ones that are printed on and the ones that are kind of see through tend to get bad hook rash. Thats why I would recommend ones with a solid paint job.

• 1 month later...