best budget rod to throw a deps 250 on?

Connor C

5 hours ago, MattGbaz said:

the 867 and ldc xh seem to be the golden standard for the 250. Are there any other higher quality rods similar to the 867 and ldc that anyone would recommend like maybe the Levante leviathan or megabass rods?

F5  MVT 867 is another great rod for 250s

On 9/8/2020 at 4:45 PM, StriperAddict said:

the fury 806 would throw a 250 but not comfortably in my opinion. I had the champion 806 and didnt like it for the 250.

I started off throwing 250s on an 806 or a LDC heavy.  After I got an 867 I found there was a world of difference - it was ten times better.

Don’t throw a 250 on an 806 my 806 I love to death, but I also know it’s limits. 

what hasn’t been said is...don’t buy a cheap rod. You will miss fish with big baits, ask me how I know! You live and learn and upgrade and spend more money after you realized you should have listened to everyone haha. Wish I just spent the money 1 time, not 3/4 times after budget buying.

cant go wrong with dobyns, wish I listened to this when I started! 

On 9/8/2020 at 8:41 AM, MattGbaz said:

the 867 and ldc xh seem to be the golden standard for the 250. Are there any other higher quality rods similar to the 867 and ldc that anyone would recommend like maybe the Levante leviathan or megabass rods?

I have the Leviathan, its better for lighter baits. throws 2-8oz but feels like the sweet spot is 3-4. honestly, 250 feels too heavy for it. I currently throw the 250 on the 807 and it does the job. 807 is rated up to 10oz so the sweet spot is closer to the 250 weight.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 6:27 AM, BOZ said:

Irods are junk

I know a guy who has caught more big fish than almost anyone else on this site using an 804 bailey swim that wouldn’t agree with this. LOL! 

I really don’t care what anyone fishes with but it’s funny when I hear stuff like this. What makes it junk? It will throw a 250 great and unlike a lot of other rods, will also throw softbaits (hudds, baitsmith) well too. It’s lightweight, balanced well, and it’s cheap. 

On 9/7/2020 at 6:02 PM, Connor C said:

Best budget rod to throw a deps 250 on?

The 804 Bailey is a good option. A Daiwa DX is also good. Both are cheap, both will do the job with minimal effort and both will do the most important thing which is HOOK and LAND THE FISH.
Don’t get too caught up in brands. Use the tool that feels best to you and that you can afford. Also, look at the guys who are out there or on this site that are ACTUALLY catching big fish and see what they’re using. Chances are, they’ve got it figured out and they’ve done most of the homework for you. If a guy says a lot about equipment but never posts anything in the Got’em section, chances are he doesn’t have it figured out. Not saying those guys are always wrong but, just take things with a grain of salt. 

Purchased a DX for the wife when she was starting to ask to throw my big stuff. Eyelets and inserts popping off which is a no go for me. 
One chipped insert and you lose a lure that costs more than the rod.

Friends IRods have held up better IMO and seemed better balanced with a better taper.

If you keep an eye out you can get some stackable coupons/discounts at American Legacy Fishing for an 867 and get it down about 20-30%. 

8 hours ago, Jace D said:

I know a guy who has caught more big fish than almost anyone else on this site using an 804 bailey swim that wouldn’t agree with this. LOL! 

I really don’t care what anyone fishes with but it’s funny when I hear stuff like this. What makes it junk? It will throw a 250 great and unlike a lot of other rods, will also throw softbaits (hudds, baitsmith) well too. It’s lightweight, balanced well, and it’s cheap. 

The 804 Bailey is a good option. A Daiwa DX is also good. Both are cheap, both will do the job with minimal effort and both will do the most important thing which is HOOK and LAND THE FISH.
Don’t get too caught up in brands. Use the tool that feels best to you and that you can afford. Also, look at the guys who are out there or on this site that are ACTUALLY catching big fish and see what they’re using. Chances are, they’ve got it figured out and they’ve done most of the homework for you. If a guy says a lot about equipment but never posts anything in the Got’em section, chances are he doesn’t have it figured out. Not saying those guys are always wrong but, just take things with a grain of salt. 

Just my personal opinion and experience. Just because you know a guy that caught a bunch of big fish on it doesn’t mean anything to me because I have personally had a bad experience with the brand and will not purchase another or recommend someone else purchase one. Rod guides and tips are junk IMO. If someone likes them, then cool, I don’t and that’s cool too.

On 9/8/2020 at 2:42 PM, StriperAddict said:

F5  MVT 867 is another great rod for 250s

X2 i owned a doby 867 before purchasing my f5 and i have to say imo brads rods are much nicer build quality and they handle the 250 “better”. Not to say that the Dobyns won’t do it obviously it has and will continue to but when i got my f5 i did a simple weight test to see how much load the 250 put on both rods just static weight testing and the f5 didn’t look near as taxes when they were loaded with the bait at the exact same angle. Probably just a me thing but i feel like the f5 still has a great parabolic action to it like the Dobyns but that it handles the weight of the 250 much better. I feel much safer really leaning into a cast with the f5 then i did the Dobyns. The f5 rockets that bait with very little effort 

3 hours ago, BOZ said:

Just my personal opinion and experience. Just because you know a guy that caught a bunch of big fish on it doesn’t mean anything to me because I have personally had a bad experience with the brand and will not purchase another or recommend someone else purchase one. Rod guides and tips are junk IMO. If someone likes them, then cool, I don’t and that’s cool too.

Fair enough. 

1 hour ago, rogers954 said:

X2 i owned a doby 867 before purchasing my f5 and i have to say imo brads rods are much nicer build quality and they handle the 250 “better”. Not to say that the Dobyns won’t do it obviously it has and will continue to but when i got my f5 i did a simple weight test to see how much load the 250 put on both rods just static weight testing and the f5 didn’t look near as taxes when they were loaded with the bait at the exact same angle. Probably just a me thing but i feel like the f5 still has a great parabolic action to it like the Dobyns but that it handles the weight of the 250 much better. I feel much safer really leaning into a cast with the f5 then i did the Dobyns. The f5 rockets that bait with very little effort 

I agree the F5 feels easier to throw a 250 but I get more distance with my dobyns. Could very well be a personal thing or who knows but thats where Im at. Both great rods regardless.

2 hours ago, rogers954 said:

F5 MVT aren’t ever available. The releases are always pushed. I believe they are an ounce heavier than the Dobyns 867.  I wanted those actions just couldn’t wait for them. Supposedly they are going to have some in October.