Castaic Striper on the 6" Punker

SumoNinja

Local striper boils are so hit or miss this summer. After couple trips of no luck, I FINALLY got lucky in the clutch. All the right decision making from location, position to bait selection all came together. 10 minutes after this catch we had to return the rental boat. 

I usually tie direct on the punker but I swapped out an A rig real quick for the punker to get distance. It was the right choice because I barely reached the edge of the boil. Made the previous blanked trips well worth it. I got c2c on the gopro but I need to work that out since I'm a total gopro noob 

20200924_165434(0).jpg

20200924_165425.jpg

20200924_165617.jpg

1 hour ago, El_Weruso said:

Nice! This has me psyched! Taking out the boat on sunday, trying to get my first striper!

That's out in your neck of the woods huh? It's a grind out there. Everyone is struggling to find em this summer. It's all luck too, and weekends suck because of all the water traffic. But good luck out there man 

3 hours ago, SumoNinja said:

That's out in your neck of the woods huh? It's a grind out there. Everyone is struggling to find em this summer. It's all luck too, and weekends suck because of all the water traffic. But good luck out there man 

Yeah less than an hour to get there for me, yeah if the boat traffic is bad we'll fish the lagoon

3 hours ago, John Lee said:

Nice fish, be careful with that bouy line ticket $$$ pricey.

Idk what the rules are. Are u not supposed to cast inside them or can't be next to them? 

The staff ride by throughout the day and just ask that u not tie your boat to the buoy lines.  

If you're not supposed to cast inside, they don't enforce it. Ppl do it all the time 

We got the $240 ticket not even tie to the buoy line with no warning . We use our own anchor but he did not agree . The sheriff said we are not supposed at the buoy 100ft . Well, I guess is not a lucky day for us.

Edited by John Lee

1 hour ago, John Lee said:

We got the $240 ticket not even tie to the buoy line with no warning . We use our own anchor but he did not agree . The sheriff said we are not supposed at the buoy 100ft . Well, I guess is not a lucky day for us.

Did not know that, dang.  Theres tons of video on yt of people at the buoy lines casting inside on boils.  Thanks for the info though 

@Bassmeister that iron fist has softened it seems. But then again it isn't my home lake, I don't go much. Just a handful of times a year but every time I go I see the same thing. Few boats lined up at the buoys if there's fish activity 

Edited by SumoNinja

16 minutes ago, SumoNinja said:

Did not know that, dang.  Theres tons of video on yt of people at the buoy lines casting inside on boils.  Thanks for the info though 

@Bassmeister that iron fist has softened it seems. But then again it isn't my home lake, I don't go much. Just a handful of times a year but every time I go I see the same thing. Few boats lined up at the buoys if there's fish activity 

Yeah there was a time in the 90's that the bait and wait folks would anchor right next to the orange square floats on the bouy line and cut the anchovies on them.

• 4 months later...
On 9/27/2020 at 2:34 PM, Bassmeister said:

Nice fish!!!!

Castaic is ruled with an iron fist.

One year I was threatened with a 380.00 dollar ticket for returning to the docks 45 mins late.

I pleaded my case saying my outboard wouldn't start and was spared the ticket thankfully.

Yeah you got lucky . My friend got it for $435 from buoy with no deal from the judge. My advice “Don’t Do It” they spot him from way outside that cove.