Looking for a versatile 2-7oz rod

freelancer27

Hi all,

hope to find you well in these crazy times! 

Looking for a all around swimbait rod that would allow me to throw anything between 2-6 oz comfortable. Both treble as well Jighook style swim and glidebaits.

Couple of lures that I would throw:

Hud 68, 8inch Hud, Deps Bull Shooter 160, Deps 175 as well as a Deps 250 every now and then.

I know it is hard to find a perfect rod that does it all, but kind of looking for a jack of all trades when I want to bring a Swimbait combo with me for my bank fishing endeavors. 

Some candidates that I was looking at:

* iROD Air Casting Rod 7'10" Bailey's Swimbait Heavy
* Abu Garcia Veracity Casting Rod 8' Extra Extra Heavy
* Orochi XX Casting Rod 8' Leviathan
* Okuma SBX Swimbait Casting Rod 7'11" Heavy
* The Workshop White Label Swimbait Rod 8' Heavy 2 - 7 oz (but hard to get)

Open to other ideas as well. 

Thanks guys for the feedback!

Cheers,
Seb.

If I could only own one swimbait rod it would be the Dobyns 867. Readily available, great for throwing 1-6oz, awesome length for casting leverage, parabolic action to keep fish pinned (on hardbaits especially), sensitive and super light for the size, etc. I've used a number of lower end rods (i.e. Okuma Guide Select, Dobyns Fury series, Irod Bailey and Large swim) and the 867 is the most versatile and refined in terms of covering most of what I like to throw. I have no experience with customs or high end stuff because they're harder to acquire and outside my budget. My 867XP I found used and drove to pick it up for $150. You can find great deals if you look hard and long enough.

There are many threads asking what rod to buy or what rod can do everything, and you will get many good opinions and suggestions. My suggestion is to not skimp out when it comes to rods. A quality rod can make a world of difference in your performance as a fisherman and will reduce the amount of lost fish, lost baits, and bodily fatigue in the end. If this means having to buy multiple rods then so be it. Save up and you won't have any regrets when you use a stick that's truly meant for the abuse you put it through.

All that said...get an 867 :P

LDC white label, either in H or XH has a nice slow taper that will keep fish pinned on trebles but not soft enough to loose a fish when setting a jig hook. I have a couple LDCs and they are by far my favorite rods compared to megabass and gloomis rods in the same price range.

Rather new to all of this but jumped right in.  I will ditto the 867 for the money those Dobyns rods are nice.  I have thrown up to 6oz on mine and it handles it no problem

another cool rod to check out, although more expensive is the JDM Megabass TS Destroyer Blackjack,  i am really impressed with this rod, its shorter and lighter than the 867

probably best to baits 5 oz and under although many say it will handle the megabass 262 and deps 250 

Yeah, The 867 is a great option. Had the rod and replaced it with a 908 to throw the big baits. 

So, looking at some other options as well. Also felt that the 867 is maybe a bit more power than what I would need. Most of the time I would throw 2-4oz.

LDC H would be my #1 option, it would excel on every bait listed with the exception of the 250.  it would throw it, but not ideal as far as the weight.

i'm not trashing the rod, but the megabass xx is one i'd remove from your list.  it is not very versatile and really only suited for jighook baits in my personal opinion.

i'd agree with the 867 as well, it would handle all of those nicely, the only downside to me was the additional 6" made it a real pain to store...

9 hours ago, Chaz96 said:

I like the phenix ultra swimbait. It’s perfect for huds and jig style but I’ve never lost a fish with treble hooks baits on it. 

I'd go out on a limb and say it'll even handle deps 250s as well.  

Tried the iRod Air 7104 Paul Swimbait and the Dobyns 796. 

The iRod was too stiff for my liking (for tthrowing 7-9 inch glidebaits). The Dobyns felt maybe a bit overpowered, but maybe that is just how the rod fishes. 

Wonder if it would make sense to step up to the 807? The 867 is too much rod for what I need, also the handle

What is the difference between the 796 and the 806 (besides the longer handle of the 806)? 

Thanks all for your feedback!

The 806 comes in 2 versions. A "short" handle and a long handle.

The long handle (which is amazing) is 18" to the back of the reel seat. The short handle is 12.5"

The 807 is also 12.5".

The 867 and 908 are 16".

For me, the 806 was not heavy enough for anything over 2-3 oz. People on here say they throw heavier.

28 minutes ago, rwp said:

The 806 comes in 2 versions. A "short" handle and a long handle.

The long handle (which is amazing) is 18" to the back of the reel seat. The short handle is 12.5"

The 807 is also 12.5".

The 867 and 908 are 16".

For me, the 806 was not heavy enough for anything over 2-3 oz. People on here say they throw heavier.

Thanks for the reply. So you would recommend the 807?

Thanks!