the bite

badbasstv

Ive only caught two hudd fish so far and both bites were completely different. The first bite all I felt was a little tick so I swung and the fish was there, with the bait choked, had the entire tail swallowed by the time I got the fish in. The second fish almost ripped the rod from my hands. Ive had 5 or 6 other bites on the hudd and they have all been very light taps. The RS on the other hand, every bite ive ever gotten on one, the fish absolutely slam it.

I like the slam MUCH better than the tap.

went out to a local lake in SD and to break in my huddleston/baitsmiths tonight and I didn't catch any bass but just a little drizzle on my fingers from all the fog.

I did get bit. It felt like something stunned it and then tugged on it a couple times. Big fish or small fish? I will never know. :x

What kind descriptive bites are you guys getting? (thump, tick, rod knockin)

Have gotten all 3 of those bites, my bigger sized fish have been the lightest ticks.

Rod being ripped out of your hand is a def a fun bite.

+2 on what Don said, have good fish eatting the rof 5 on the drop.

• 5 months later...

I wanted to bump this because I hope some other noobs out there like myself can learn something from this thread.

Today I had one about rip the rod out of my hand as the bait fell and all I could do was say "HOLY $#!+" as I missed the hook set. Not three casts later and no more than 40' from the first bite I get this rapid fire bump bump bump. Whats my stupid ass do I wait for it to take it and swim off. BAD MOVE. Should have swung for the fences. That happened three more times :oops: . Maybe one day I'll learn.

The moral of the story;

When in doubt set the hook.

BTW

8" Weedless Hudd

That bait freakin rocks!

In speaking about bites ... Do you guys find the bigger fish do the same with hardbait, topwaters specifically? I'm finding the larger fish are only getting the rear treble but the smaller ones hit it with a vengeance and get both hooks.

If this needs its own topic for baits other than the Hudds that's cool. I can't squat on my 68

depends on the hardbait but yes. Ive caught alot of bigger fish on topwater hardbaits where they just get the trebles or something. the bait just disappears under water, no ripple, then all heck hell breaks loose!! :lol::lol: Also, my personal PB on a frog up around 13lbs, she just slurped it, it looked like a baby just grabbed the legs, no ripple or anything, but she had it choked. This being said Ive had alot of 6lb+ wakebait fish just destroy the bait on a hit, usually colder water, looks like mortors going off in the water :D:D those are the fun days!

I like the little "tick, slack" bites where you get a tiny little pop or a somewhat large pop then you lose complete feel of your bait and have to reel a few cranks before you set the hook and your freakin rod quadruples over....thems the ones I like.

Deep hudd bite.

X2

In speaking about bites ... Do you guys find the bigger fish do the same with hardbait, topwaters specifically? I'm finding the larger fish are only getting the rear treble but the smaller ones hit it with a vengeance and get both hooks.

If this needs its own topic for baits other than the Hudds that's cool. I can't squat on my 68

I've watched bass(2-7lbs) totally destroy my topwater baits while others just ever so slightly grab the trebles and pull them under.

i just recently had a 5lber follow my 8" FS Trout(floater) to the shoreline and swiped at it as i pulling the bait out of the water(i wasnt paying attention). i watched as it just sat there looking around for my bait. i quick made a short cast and worked the bait right up over it and she went up and grabbed my bait. she had the front treble in her mouth. i set the hook and it was a heart breaker...

i have it on the gopro...i'll see if i can post it up later...