10"+ Baits too big?

Vedak

I think not! Found this trout the other day on shore, taking a dirt nap. I always get comments from people, stating that my lures are way too big. Yet after they finish telling me this, I ask them if they've been around when the lakes get stocked. More often than not, they tell me how awesome it is to watch the bass chasing those trouts...

If bass are eating stocked trouts, why do think that a bait the same size wouldn't make sense?

What are your thoughts?

IMG_3153.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

I have seen LMB and Stripers eat those size trout and some bigger recently. I have seen them caught also on similar sized baits recently. I used to think that those baits are too big, but no more. I have seen the light.

Raymond

A few years back I got on a crazy bite where the fish were eating mostly 10-15 inch gizzard shad way up in a shallow creek where the water had warmed up fast and the gizzards had moved for warmer water and had started spawning. I think every big shad in the lake was up there. Funny thing was very few of the fish were over five pounds. All of these fish choked a BIG Gizzard shad shaped bait that was 10 inches plus and as you can see none of them are huge fish. We had to take the rear hook off to keep from killing the fish. The guy in the photo came to fish with me from Texas and you should have seen the look on his face when I caught the first one which wasn't that big and that huge bait was gone.

post-119-1425298756954_thumb.jpg

I used to be surprised by the size baits fish would attack, but not any longer. Just this past Friday I sat in on a talk by a local scientist who was looking at the survival of stocked rainbow trout in a river that has lots of browns. He said that they kept finding the tags from their rainbows inside of brown trout, and that the brown trout were eating rainbows that were on average 50% of their body length. The scary figure was when he pointed out that the top end of the "what we'll eat" category was a brown trout that had eaten a rainbow that was 78% of the brown trout's length! :shock: That's insane...to normal people, but not those who've thrown big baits for any length of time.

yes they are way overrated... so get rid of them to me for cheap :lol: ...

i recently started swimbaiting this year with 6" bait and already cant wait to move up to bigger baits, only problem, heavier gear. now just debating whether to sell the my dobyns champ 733 and curado e setup to move or save for it...

Here's a four and half pounder that ate a realprey truckbow. Till I cuaght this fish I was going to sell the bait. Tossing a 10" bait in new england gets a lot of looks and head shaking. :lol:

IMG_20120923_090349.jpg

That trout is sweet, Urban! And I agree...you get some funny looks throwing these baits here, usually followed by the typical "What are you fishing for sharks?" comment.

This one wouldnt even have gone over 2.5...he had no problem choking it

post-1900-14252987572122_thumb.jpg