FISHFINDERS is it worth it to go big?

SWIMBO

Marbles, my view with fish finders is similar to that others have posted on here. Yes, you will sometimes see fish on them and sometimes you can even catch those fish, but where they really shine is in showing you what the bottom structure and cover look like. I've discovered some really neat humps and bumps in some of the standard-looking CO Front Range gravel pits that have been very productive - without a finder, you'd only find these by dumb luck, or by methodical casting with a heavy C-rig.

Does finder size matter? I don't really know - I've only ever used the smallest sizes (4" screen, I believe) on my 'toon because anything bigger just won't fit. I think you want a screen that is large enough that you can glance at it from your usual fishing locations/stance and read the key information - keep in mind that most finders do give you control over how large the data/text is, so added screen size might help more with seeing more of the bottom/side at once than being more readable from a text standpoint. I've been toying with the idea of replacing my venerable Lowrance M68 S/Map with one of the new Elite 4 DSIs but I don't want to spend the $$$ quite yet nor do I want to spend a week manually transferring my GPS waypoints from the old unit (no transfer capability) to the new one.

One final thought (okay, two). Treat your sonar much like a computer - get the most capable, powerful sonar you can so that it remains useful 5 or 6 years down the road. Thought #2 - whatever sonar you get, spend a lot of time reading the manual and then practicing with it on the water - the more familiar you are with it, the better you'll become at quickly figuring out what gems it is showing. Okay, I lied, 3rd thought - FishDr and Marbles at the FMO, throwing nothing but big stuff!

So, when are you posting a picture of the boat?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marbles, my view with fish finders is similar to that others have posted on here. Yes, you will sometimes see fish on them and sometimes you can even catch those fish, but where they really shine is in showing you what the bottom structure and cover look like. I've discovered some really neat humps and bumps in some of the standard-looking CO Front Range gravel pits that have been very productive - without a finder, you'd only find these by dumb luck, or by methodical casting with a heavy C-rig.

Does finder size matter? I don't really know - I've only ever used the smallest sizes (4" screen, I believe) on my 'toon because anything bigger just won't fit. I think you want a screen that is large enough that you can glance at it from your usual fishing locations/stance and read the key information - keep in mind that most finders do give you control over how large the data/text is, so added screen size might help more with seeing more of the bottom/side at once than beig more readable from a text standpoint. I've been toying with the idea of replacing my venerable Lowrance M68 S/Map with one of the new Elite 4 DSIs but I don't want to spend the $$$ quite yet nor do I want to spend a week manually transferring my GPS waypoints from the old unit (no transfer capability) to the new one.

One final thought (okay, two). Treat your sonar much like a computer - get the most capable, powerful sonar you can so that it remains useful 5 or 6 years down the road. Thought #2 - whatever sonar you get, spend a lot of time reading the manual and then practicing with it on the water - the more familiar you are with it, the better you'll become at quickly figuring out what gems it is showing. Okay, I lied, 3rd thought - FishDr and Marbles at the FMO, throwing nothing but big stuff!

So, when are you posting a picture of the boat?

Here ya go Chris,not much but she's mine and paid for does close to 40 mph won't win any races but boats fish well.... 2yx239y.jpg

man I appreciate everyone's input I decided to go with a pair of hds's with structure scan,see you guys in the Got'em sec in 2013 Hahahah

Here ya go Chris,not much but she's mine and paid for does close to 40 mph won't win any races but boats fish well....

man I appreciate everyone's input I decided to go with a pair of hds's with structure scan,see you guys in the Got'em sec in 2013 Hahahah

That is a beautiful boat Marbles. At 40MPH, that is plenty fast to get bugs in your teeth as you smile from ear to ear :)

-Ali

Here ya go Chris,not much but she's mine and paid for does close to 40 mph won't win any races but boats fish well....

That is a beautiful boat Marbles. At 40MPH, that is plenty fast to get bugs in your teeth as you smile from ear to ear :)

-Ali

In..deed!

My HDS-5 (front) started to fail at the SU Clear Lake trip. Within a week it was completely dead. I thought to myself: "I don't need a graph up front. I can save some money". Boy, was I wrong! I am a creature of habit and I look at that thing for everything from ToD, depth, water temp, structure, where the bait is suspended, bottom contour, weed edges, etc...

Funny thing is that when I fish from a friends boat I never look at the graph. I trust the guy running the boat to be doing the right thing and my mind is at ease.

I recently purchased the HDS-7 Touch to replace my Gen1 HDS-5. That thing is super sick! Edge to edge graph and built-in SS (no separate module needed). It is also way faster to boot up and react than the Gen1 HDS.

I guess if I had either a good memory or good eyesight, I'd just have one finder in the back. But I always forget what the contour of the lake looks like (specially since they play with water levels a lot in CA) and since I am nearsighted, the back graph is a pain to see.

I vote you get both. And if you're going to get just one unit, splurge and get the HDS touch. You'll love what the graph can do for you.

-Ali

Ali just bought the hds 7 touch also just wondering if your using a ram mount and if you are what model.

Ali just bought the hds 7 touch also just wondering if your using a ram mount and if you are what model.

I bought the RAM D111-uc but the full sized version I believe is the B111

I like these mounts and they are flexible if you want to ever go bigger (or smaller)

-Ali

• 1 month later...