HOMEGROWN "RAT" GETS BIT

LUV-2-CATCH'EM

I was think'in bout gett'in me a RAT-BAIT and after seeing some of the prices people wanted for them I decided to try and make my own. Had 3 bites on saturday morning and only caught 1 of the 3(bout 3 lbs). One bite was a small fish, but 1 was a good size monster...hard to tell in the dark but sounded huge!

1STRATFISH_zpsac1500cd.jpg

HOMEMADERATBAITS-1_zpsf0ea74b1.jpg

PLEASE give me your honest opinion on the "SWAMP RAT Jr. and Sr."-Very open minded to new ideas and suggestions...Allways room for adjustments/improvements from my fellow swimbaiters. What kind of wood do ya'll use and what do you use to seal the bait after it's said and done? I just used a 4-5 coats of a typical "paint on" clear enamel and it's not gunna cut the mustard! The bait is chipp'in from the rocks and fish...gotta be a product that will prevent this? I stole the snaprings off a LAKEFORK FlutterSpoon since I couln't find any that wouldn't bend all the Sh*t when installing-What size ya'll use with this type of MOCHO-HONCHO hardware? Lastly, Do ya'll think this is too much of a "copy cat" bait certainly don't wanna be that guy...

Justin - those rats are ugly as hell but if the bass like 'em, that's all that matters :D

Use #7 owner hyperwire rings - you'll need the large Texas Tackle split ring pliers for those.

As far as is it a copyrat... If you're not selling them and just making them for personal use, I don't think it matters.

There are a couple of things that you can do for clear coats. As far as what's strongest (ugliest too) i've heard of guys using devcon. I never liked the look of it but some guys do. Personally, I use an automotive clear coat. Three to four coats of a rattle can spray is sufficient and two coats if you're dipping it. Stuff does magic for me!

"Imitation is the highest form of flattery"

I'm just messing with you. They look great to me considering its your first go at it. If they are catching fish already without having to tweak it, why change a good thing? They obviously have some mojo! I would keep them just the way they are and make new models or designs based on the originals so you always have your baseline of what's proven to work.

I used Poplar but then you hav eto test and weight it. Once you put the wires in you know where the wires are and then you can drill into the bait to get it to float right.

as for clear coating: I used the devcon too sets up quick and you can use a blow dryer to le tit run thinner and get the air bubbles out of it nice coat. I have also heard of an air curing clear that you put on and it cures with air (just to get the comments down I know they all tops coats cure with air, but this one is an epoxy that reacts with oxygen and hardens). I guest they use it in wet areas and don't have to worry about water being there. some soort of urethane.

anyway if they are catching fish make a couple of them and if you get your process down - I'll take one.

nice fish too.

you can use devcon for a top coat but not 30 min. Use the devcon 2 ton and do multiple thin coats. I put mine on thick like a glaze, but I use two different kinds of epoxys with two different qualitys. Devcon is hard but can be brittle. if its done right, its crystal clear just like a auto clear.... dont know how it can be ugly unless its done wrong :roll: